Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've suspension question for you. My rear leaf springs are pretty tired, they bottom out pretty much every time I go over a speed bump. I've looked into getting them re-arched at a spring shop in Oakland, it would be 35 per spring if I bring them in or 300 total for the shop to do the whole thing. My other though would be to replace them with OME Darkar leafs, for around 400 and then have totally new springs and about 1.5 inches of lift over stock, probably about 2 inches at least from where they are now. Do you have thoughts on re-arching springs? Do people still do this? How hard is it to pull off the leaf packs? Also, last year I put 4 Bilstien 5100 shocks on at the stock height, if I did get new leafs would I need to do anything with the front? New springs? I don't really care about the lift, just want a better ride that does bottom out constantly.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was in the same boat about 2 years ago. And the spring shop wanted 400 to rearch with an add a leaf. I didnt even think about it and ordered a pair of OME leaf springs. They have been great, and I have not bottomed out once since getting them on. I have had a full load, and pulling a full 5x8 trailer and never came close to bottoming out. It did give me about 2 inches of lift intially, then settled to about 1.5 inches. If you get the OME, you'll need to get something up front or it will look goofy. You can get a pair of spacers to level it out or get to an 1in or .5 in of rake from someone on here for like $50.

my .02 is to get the springs, and get rid of the crappy stock ones, and level it out.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
The only problem with going with the OME leafs is that nobody has any and it's going to be a while before they get any. I've heard a couple to a few months from a few vendors.

Alcans or Deavers would also be a great option as NYTKSHR said.

OR Try to find a member in your area who has stock springs that aren't too badly beaten up. They come up occasionally

Sandy V just did the buy stockers add an add a leaf route.

ETA: Sandy V

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a bunch of searching around last week for OME Darkars, you guys are right, there are back order every where. I think thats probably the best route to go, I've been living with these for 2 years, I can wait a few weeks. It seems like a bad investment to put any money into these stock springs.

So here's the next question, If I go with LD OME Darkar leafs in the rear, what to do in front? Last year I put on Bilstein 5100's all around at the stock height. Is it doable to use those with the stock coils to adjust the front up to match to lift from the Darkars in the rear, it seems like the ride quality and travel get reduced ? Or should I get OME 607 coils and use the Bilsteins in those? I've read a bit on that, the reviews seem mixed. Or should I order the whole OME LD 1.5in lift kit and sell the used Bilsteins on here to offset a bit of the cost? So to review:

Option 1: LD OME Darkar in Rear, Bilstein 5100s in from adjusted up to match.

Option 2: LD OME Darkar in rear, Bilstein 5100 with OME 607 coils in front.

Option 3: Full LD OME kit and sell the Bilsteins?

Again, not looking for a huge lift, I'd like to stay as close to stock as I can, but with some added ride quality and load capacity.

It would be great to hear from anyone running OME springs and Bilsteins 5100.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts