Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
CB are best run directly to the battery; if not, you will get a lot of interference/static.

I ran my hot direct from the battery, across the firewall, through the hole in the firewall, behind the kick panel, down the sill, under the seat, and up into the center console. Then I ran a short ground from the CB (mounted in the center console) to a pre-existing captured nut under the driver's seat (there is a small flap of fabric you pull up, and it is under there).

My CB has an in-line fuse in the hot wire, and an overload fuse inside the unit, so I didn't have to add a fuse block or in-line fuse.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can splice it into just about any constant hot lead.

You can use a vampire tap to tap into the hot lead from the cig lighter if you want.

Or a fuse tap and tap into the fuse panel inside the glove box.

I ran a fuse panel into the cab (drivers side kick panel) and wired into there.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Mine is mounted on the overhead, just forward of the dual OVHD lites and the Hot/Cold leads were soldered onto the lite network--

--The CB has inline fuses and the rating is only 4 watts so there no REAL draw on the CKT, which is already fused at 10 amps (120) watts--

-- :geek: :geek: -=-JIMBO

·
on line
145 Posts
I connected mine to the wires for the center console power/cig outlet. They run right underneath the cupholders. I actually added another cig/power outlet that sits loose under the cupholder. Since I have several CBs and like to change them occasionally this was the easiest way for me. Unfortunately my favorite and best CB, a Cobra GTL148 with sidebands, is a monster and won't fit anywhere but under the seat and then I can't see it.

·
on line
807 Posts
shutterman0991 said:
as long as you have a ground running directly to the chassis, it doesn't matter the power source. I ran it to the cig lighter and a second ground to the chassis. works great!
Taken directly from firestik's website, "If you are hearing whining noises from your radio while your vehicle is running, it is probably due to "dirty power" being supplied to the radio. Under dash power may be more convenient, but the "cleanest" power will be found by running the radio's power leads straight to the battery."

It sounds like plenty of people on here are not running directly to the battery, but it only takes a few minutes to run the wire, so I'd do it right the first time.

·
on line
316 Posts
So if I run straight from the battery the CB should run cleaner and transmit better?

·
on line
807 Posts
theoretically, yes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts