Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
usmc xterra said:
Goes into a distribution block, out of that and onto a breaker and on to loads.
PaulXyZ said:
This is the area where you can mount an auxiliary fuse box
I'm adding some lights to my roof rack (rear mounted fogs) and need to get access to some power. Searching many posts, I found USMC's and PaulXyZ's mods for getting power to the driver's side kick panel. Both bring in power the same way, but MC's ends at a distribution block and Paul's at an auxillary fuse box. What are the advantages of one over the other? MC puts a breaker after the distribution block then on to the loads, whereas Paul's mod ends at the fuse box. Not sure how MC mounted the breaker nor what amperage it is. This way looks good since the distribution blocks and fuse blocks I have found are all 4/8 gauge input and 8 gauge output. Not sure if hooking up smaller gauge (14-18g) to these bigger outputs would stay connected. The ring terminals over the breaker with a nut would definitely stay tight. On the other hand, that fuse box has four outputs and no breaker would be needed, right?

Should a fuse be put between the lights and the relay? How is the best way to get the Pos wire from the lights into the interior to connect to this new power block? I plan on using OregonX's mod to get the wire from the roof to under the truck, but not sure if I should use the right side like he did, or the left side and try to get back to the same grommet the power cable comes into the truck through. Lastly, the wiring harness that came w/ the lights looks about 18g, 16g tops. If I splice 14g to the harness, will that be adequate to make the run back to the front of the truck? The lights are 44W each I think (H3 bulbs). Hope I didn't ramble too much.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am not sure how they did it, but I ran two fuse blocks, one under the hood and one on the drivers side kick panel. I power them straight from the battery with two 100A breakers (one going to each block). I then can run up to 6 devices per block (external things such as lights go on the block under the hood and things inside like the CB and laptop).

I ran 8 gauge from the battery to each breaker and 8 gauge from each breaker to the fuse blocks. I then run what ever size fuse and gauge wire I need for the application (max fuse size of 30A).

Here is the fuse blocks I have: http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/products/5028

Here are the breakers: http://bluesea.com/category/3/10/productline/overview/150

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Both ways are correct, Just my way will carry much more of a load......and I needed it as i have 4 Amp Hogg KC's on Top and an Air compressor that runs off that circuit! Plus, if I add, I have room as what comes in is beyond enough.

His is more suited for many small loads as mine is more suited for a few Gigantic loads, Lights, Compressor, and maybe an amp or a few small loads. But I have same set up as his on my boat! Where I have a bunch of small radios that use quick blow tube type fuses as his does.

Only best way is one suited to the way you intend to use it. All about application!

Hindsight I would have got a long Jumper cable and ran the Pos One in, like a 2 AWG then distributed it. Cheap way, gobs of power! MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Now it's just a matter of crawling around and laying cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts