Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to instal a cb radio in my X. but i can't seem to find a good wire to get power from. any ideas? i was thinking running the cable to the fuse box and get it from the one for the radio. so the cb turns on with the radio. BTW my X didn't have a manual since it was the last in the dealership. any help greatly appreciated

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awsome.. didn't think of that. I will try it

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Use these. I would just tap into the positive and then ground the negative lead of the CB to something close to the CB it's self using a standard ring connector and self tapping screw (or an already existing grounded screw/bolt).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...04093&cp=&origkw=tap&kw=tap&parentPage=search

Remember, of the two outlets in the dash one is constant power and the other turns off with the ignition.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Very easy to get on/off power from the console outlet. The wires are right under the center console. Just lift the cup tray out to get to them.

HEre is how I wired my XM. It draws very little current. I did still use a 1A barrel fuse.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I did get it from the one under the cup holder. worked out great and used one of those wire tappers. I got a CB and took the face plate off welded all the wires to cables and built a box for the face plate. i took the rest of the cb and placed it under the dash and placed the faceplate and hand held besides the center console. drilled the holes on the carpet so no damage to the plastic. it worked out great it has very little profile and looks great too

·
on line
332 Posts
post some pics of the cb mod

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is where i got the power from the center console... the brown cable

This is a view of the wire routing

The rest of the CB underneath the steering wheel

A close up of the CB body

A view of the face plate

The final Product

Unfortunatelly i don't have any pics of the welding of the wires

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Awesome Idea with the CB.
Very nice.

·
on line
295 Posts
From the RMXC site. Pep Boys and others sell empty fuse power taps.
Thanks RMXC!!

Posted 11 May 2006 12:29 PM
Here's how you want to wire the power of your Sirius unit:

1) Acquire a voltage meter. (If you don't have one you should be able to rent one from Checkers, AutoZone or Pep Boys)
2) Locate the fuse box.
3) Test each empty fuse slot for power when ignition is set to ACC. There should be no power when the vehicle is off but power when the ignition is in the ACC position.
4) Connect your Sirius (or whatever) power cable to this empty fuse slot using a fuse tap. I bought mine at Pep Boys.

5) Ground the Sirius unit to the chasis of the vehicle.
6) Test your wiring job by turning the vehicle to ACC. You will also want to test every other electric switch to make sure your wiring has not interfered with another device. I.E. wipers, heater, lights, windows, door locks, etc...

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The space was kind of thight and I really didn't want to drill holes on the plastic. the part that took some time was reconecting the CB connections to wires. there was about 30 of them. :geek:

·
on line
315 Posts
I wired mine to the kick panel where there is an accessory power wire I saw posted on a compass/temp mirror install. It's switched power, so it works the same as the one in the console. There is a bolt near the kick panel that can be used for a ground.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I actually ran two add-on fuse blocks, one above the kick panel for interior stuff and one on the firewall for exterior stuff. They are protected by 2 100amp waterproof breakers and wired directly to the battery. If I want the device to be switched, I just toss the switch onto a relay that is powered off a switched line.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used a 10 amp fuse. you can see it on the third picture (blue). and used a self tapping screw to ground it to the bar that is holding the CB.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BGXterra said:
Here is where i got the power from the center console... the brown cable

This is a view of the wire routing

The rest of the CB underneath the steering wheel

A close up of the CB body

A view of the face plate

The final Product

Unfortunatelly i don't have any pics of the welding of the wires

·
on line
189 Posts
That is an awesome idea with the cb. I am going to take one of mine apart and give it a try. :cheers:

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
offroadterra said:
That is an awesome idea with the cb. I am going to take one of mine apart and give it a try. :cheers:
a bit of advice, if you need to unweld a lot of terminals. make sure you get a suction tool, I don'tremember what it is called but most of them look like a think pen. you melt the welding and then suck it right out. makes things a lot easier

·
on line
143 Posts
BGXterra said:
offroadterra said:
a bit of advice, if you need to unweld a lot of terminals. make sure you get a suction tool, I don'tremember what it is called but most of them look like a think pen. you melt the welding and then suck it right out. makes things a lot easier
Solder Sucker....is the Technical Term... :geek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts