Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I've bought some Hella 500 driving lamps and I have them mostly wired in but the instructions say to splice them into the high beams. Is there a way to circumvent this step? I want my driving lamps to be completely independant of my stock headlights. Thanks!

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Search VMAN in the How To for his write up. It helped me a lot when I wired my lights.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i wired mine off the power wire from the turn signal lights.....they can only come on if the auxiliary lights are on and i have them on a switch also so they don't come on unless the aux lights are on and the switch is on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
willgr1 said:
i wired mine off the power wire from the turn signal lights.....they can only come on if the auxiliary lights are on and i have them on a switch also so they don't come on unless the aux lights are on and the switch is on.
That's what I did and i think it's a smart move. Chances of leaving them on by accident would be lower and how often would you use the Hella's without your marker lights.

·
on line
91 Posts
What color is the wire you spliced into in the parking light harness. There are three, red,green and black.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Good question, I don't remember. I know I tapped in with a vampire tap right behind the light. I tested the circuit and found the + lead. I will assume that was the red one.

·
on line
91 Posts
I installed my hella lights the other day and tapped into my parking lights. The red wire is the one you want to tap into. It only lets you turn the lights on when the parking lights or head lights are on. No way to leave them on by mistake.

·
on line
264 Posts
i just tapped the return power fro the 12v plug in the center console since i mounted my switches on the face of the console. this way the lights wont turn on unless the key is turned to acc

·
on line
1,163 Posts
i tapped mine to a constant 12v, so i can turn them on weather the truck is on or off.......

·
on line
2,077 Posts
lowhombre said:
i tapped mine to a constant 12v, so i can turn them on weather the truck is on or off.......
i thought about doing that originally, but my knee tends to hit the switches, so i'm glad i did the turn signal...i've drained a few batteries by leaving things on accidentally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts