Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for everyone. This was a tough one to find on the internet too. I am thinking of wiring the audio of the GPS to the speakers of the Xterra. Now this is how I was wanting it done.

I want to be driving listening to the radio and if the GPS needs to chime in then it would be louder than the music and say turn left on whatever street and the music would keep on playing. IS this possilbe. I thought maybe if you spliced into the output for the speakers from the H/U or amp.

What do you guys think. This is the ideal situation for me. If this cant be done then i'll attach a FM reciever, but then if the GPS needs to warm me i wont be able to hear it to switch over to the station from the radio.

·
on line
197 Posts
I don't think what you're wanting is doable. Say your radio volume is on 3 (feeding the speakers), your gps (if possible to have the exact same linear volume curve) would need to be at volume 4 (saying simplistic but should get the point across) for you to hear it clearly above the music.

Now, when the guitar lick at the end of Freebird (preferably the Live version), your radio suddenly finds it's way up to volume 10, yet your gps is still at 4 since it's not controlled by the receiver volume.

The ONLY way this would work is piping the gps audio into the head unit pre-amp, along with the music input to the pre-amp. It is in the pre-amp stages of most receivers where the volume is adjusted, not at the post-amps (output).

·
on line
352 Posts
On the other hand, I do exactly what you want on my carputer..And it switches to GPD screen when directions are being given, and music vol is lowered to whatever I set it up to do.

ALL OF YOU GO BUILD CARPUTERS!!!

·
on line
236 Posts
Well my two cents... And it isn't worth much :)

Yes it is do-able... Depending on how you power (drive) your speakers. I have the Rockford Fosgate setup... So... As you are wanting I could, use an audio out from the GPS unit (set to a loud volume) and splice it into the line in on the amp under the passenger seat... Using the low power line in on the amp, and a hi-fi input from the GPS, the GPS would overpower and "mix" with the head units audio. It would probably add some white noise interference too when connected and feedback when disconnected and shorted.

This is a similar priciple uses and splicing to AUX sources together... It isn't ideal and you really can't isolate the sorces from eachother since audio is basically AC current, diodes would not isolate them. But you could probably find some small microphone mixer at RatShack and add it in the middle... That's what they are sold to do.

BUT... You must be powering your speakers by an amp such as the RF option. I can check the service manual if you need for the pin outs on the amp for the audio in line (audio from the stereo).

This will not pause music, only "mix" with it... I'm sure you could look further and power a tiny relay using the hi-fi output from the GPS to "cut" the stero signal and pply the GPS chime. You'd need the volume very loud on the GPS and the chime might be heard by the neighbors since you'd need some more work to get it powered without secondary power. A rectifier from the GPS audio out will make DC current, tap that to a pair of realays the "swap" the audio from the head unit to the GPS unit... just before the relays primary output to the amp, you'd want a variable resistor to "fix" the volume, but after the rectifier, so the rectifier would get the most power it can to trigger the relays.

If you aren't using a amp after the head unit... I think everyone else is right though.

-MadManX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts