Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I spent the better half of yesterday wiring some lights to my Xterra. Well this was my first time and although I am happy I accomplished it, I was a little less content with the results.

So here is my problem: After wiring the hole thing, I followed Hella's instructions to use their little splicer tool to cut into the headlights wiring and connect it to the switch.

I either didnt press hard enough or that tool doesnt work very well because it doesnt work. In order to test the wiring completely, I hard wired it to the battery just to make sure everything else is ok and it works like a charm. The only problem now is that since it is hard wired to the battery, the led light in the switch is on 24/7.

I hooked up the light switch on the first blank panel to the left of the steering wheel and to the right of the controls for the side mirrors.

The only wires I see are either to the mirrors, the factory alarm, or a bunch of wires that I believe go to some diagnostic module.

Does anyone familiar with the all that mess I just spoke know of a cable around there that I can tap into for my switch?

Thanks!

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I haven't been up under the dash so don't know if the fuse box is a possibility or if it's even under the dash for that matter.

·
on line
589 Posts
When I originally wired mine and just put the splicer tool in there, it didn't cut into the wire enough by itself. I removed it and pushed it back in while wiggling it back and forth to ensure I cut into the wiring and that did the trick for me...

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to try that. Thank you Erick. Did you do anything to the splicer tool after like tape it up tight or anything?

·
on line
589 Posts
Nope, the box seems to hold it tightly enough in...but the issue was just with the splicer finding the wiring in there. Worse case scenario you could always solder the wire into there and tape that off instead.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats true. Thanks for the info. I will post my findings.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last question, the headlight unit revealed three wires, a blue, a red and a black. I think I used the blue. Was that the right one?

·
on line
142 Posts
Please, be sure and put a fuse right at the battery on the hot wire. If you don't, the entire length of the wire can burn up and start a fire! You can save yourself a lot of heartache with a $2 part.

Z.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did put the fuse near the battery. Thank you for asking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts