Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like an inconsequential topic, but it's driving me nuts. I can't find a wiper for the either front or the rear that is worth a hoot. I only have 9k on my 07 X and have already tried factory wipers and Rain X winter wipers (like $20 each). None of them seem to get tight on the window and the driver’s side one is worthless for the last 4-5 inches. Driving in the mountains in CO you can't have this.

The rear wiper is probably the worst I've had on any vehicle I've ever owned.

Anyone had luck with a particular brand?

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I have replaced all my wipers with the RAIN-X brandwipers and they have worked fantastically.

I am more than happy with the coverage and pressure on the glass.

May I recommend that you try using a glass pre-treatment like Rain X wipes or spray? Or another pre-treat brand?

The rear wiper, once replaced began working 3 times better.

·
on line
628 Posts
I am currently using the Bosch Icons. Autozone Part #'s 424A (Drivers) 418A (Passenger), $22.89 and $17.99 respectively. Quality doesn't come cheap and these have worked quite well so far. As for the back window, I have yet to change that one. Most of the time I forget it is there and don't even use it. I think I recall someone on here saying it is a dealer item.

·
on line
628 Posts
I am glad to see someone chimed in that was from up north using the Icons. I assume these move the snow pretty well too.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Californias cool, I just removed my rear wiper , don't have any use for it and it looks STUPID !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,125 Posts
the rear wiper on mine sucks too. i just replaced my front 2 wipers with TRICO Neoform... they are exactly the same as the bosch icons just a little bit less expensive. as for the back.. it is a dealership order item. i was going to take it off and just replace the rubber blade with a cheapy. i use it a lot but seeing whats being me isnt as important as whats coming up. and i love the Neoforms...

·
on line
245 Posts
I'm using the Bosch Icon wipers here in Oregon and they are the best wiper I've ever had. They also have a unique look which gets rid of all the metal bracketing above the wiper blade. I would definitly reccomend these, and I drove by an autozone today with a buy one get one free advertisement in the window...

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll have to try the Bosch Icons next.

I've always used Rain X on my windows but haven't had chance to re-apply since I last washed it off. That was going to be my next step.

Since this is my first post, just a quick intro:

Had a 2000 X (was on that other board) and traded it in for my 07. Love the new one, they addressed almost everything I didn't like about my old one. Couldn't be happier. So far, only mods are Yakima Fat Cat 6 (color matches my Desert Stone perfectly) and Alpine 9886 head unit. Oh, and I made some foam coasters for the cupholders so my Nalgene doesn't rattle :)

Up next, probably the sunglass holder and I'm going to try and make an internal fly rod holder. You can buy these, but I'm going to give it a shot myself. Then, going to get the Raw Yakima bike rack.

Cheers!

·
on line
3,592 Posts
If bosch works in Oregon's rain... will work any where..

looks like I will buy me a new set, intall for rest of winter.. then use the stock ones for summer rains.

Rear wiper. should be still new.. Just not used to haveing a wiper in the back.. Odd... I think it still works. :)

·
on line
31 Posts
I got these Valeo, I was looking at the Bosch but didn't want to spend the $$ on them. These are buy one get one free, ended up being $26 with shipping I believe. They are fantastic so far, had them about 3 months or so. Rain and snow no problem, ice comes off very easy in the morning. No metal frame on them is great. I'm sure the Bosch are just about the same wiper, I'd get either one depending on which is the cheapest.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

·
on line
3,754 Posts
instead of applying the rain-x. i use the rain-x windshield washer fluid. works great and you dont have to apply it. just wash your windshield and its done.

·
on line
169 Posts
x2 on the rear blade. its a POS. If it even wipes (quite rare in the CO winter) it only wipes the bottom 4 inches of the window. The fluid also dribbles down the window, and does not really clean it. My Mom's X has the same issue.

x2 on the ICONs as well, I put them on one of our old cars and they were fantastic.

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ironic, I was watching a show last night (How do they Do it?) on the Science Channel...yes, I'm a bit of a nerd...and they visited the Bosch plant to show how they make wipers. I can now see why their product is so expensive. A lot of engineering goes into these suckers.

·
on line
148 Posts
I'm also thinking about the Bosch wipers......but unsure about how well they handle snow etc.

·
on line
99 Posts
One person mentioned the PIAA's, that's what we are running. We got a $25 discount from 4wheelparts so we bucked up and tried them. The install is more involved than any other wiper I've ever used, you clean the windshield with some swabs, and you then install the blades and run them dry for something like 15min. This supposedly coats the windshield with silicon... anyway they have been on all winter. We're having a rough time here in WA with lots of rain and snow. The blades do a great job of clearing both and have not chattered or frozen yet. No report on mud. my 2c

1 - 20 of 25 Posts