Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have to park my X across the street from my house. Running an extension cord across the street is obviously not an option, so installing a block heater and oil pan/battery heaters are out of the question.

Is there anything I can do other than full synthetic oil? I was also maybe considering getting an optima battery.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I was jokingly going to suggest running the block heater off an inverted installed in the truck, but I'm certain that would defeat the purpose of being able to start the truck :p

If you don't care for your neighbors very much, you could get a small generator.

Also, I was kidding when I typed it into Google, but apparently cordless block heaters do exist if you've got cash to burn:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/54366-quot-cordless-quot-engine-block-heaters

I only skimmed the thread but there are also versions that run off your own gas tank (which does mean fire, but hey...do you want to start the engine or not? :D)

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Skip the Optima, get a big Odyssey battery.
Synthetic go for a 0W30 so it is a little thinner when cold but still good when warm.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was jokingly going to suggest running the block heater off an inverted installed in the truck, but I'm certain that would defeat the purpose of being able to start the truck :p

If you don't care for your neighbors very much, you could get a small generator.

Also, I was kidding when I typed it into Google, but apparently cordless block heaters do exist if you've got cash to burn:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/54366-quot-cordless-quot-engine-block-heaters

I only skimmed the thread but there are also versions that run off your own gas tank (which does mean fire, but hey...do you want to start the engine or not? :D)
Looked through that thread, and I found this that I might try:

" Course, I remember reading about Siberian truck drivers building a campfire under the engine."

Hahaha

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Synthetic oil and the biggest CCA battery you can fit in. That will solve most of your issues, the two being stiff oil and not enough force to crank the engine.

If it gets really cold , and I mean really cold - start it up and let it run and warm up just before bed time, then fire her up first thing in the AM. Don't let it sit for more than 8 hours if you can avoid it (I am talking 30 below type weather)

Google "tiger torch" - faster than coals or fire, and yes they do use them to start heavy equipment up north - a few minutes on the oil pan and good to go

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
\

Google "tiger torch" - faster than coals or fire, and yes they do use them to start heavy equipment up north - a few minutes on the oil pan and good to go
I hope that's a joke. There are harnesses and other things to melt. If you try to torch the oil pan for a cold start you are likely to remove yourself from the gene pool

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I never had any issues in my Frontier last winter or the one before down to -35, when we hit -40 it wouldn't start without being plugged in. I think with a good battery and synthetic it would be OK for most of the winter. I still have the OEM battery.

·
on line
951 Posts
We had a tech torching on a crankshaft key-way. Someone left the crank bolt loose and the crankshaft pulley walked off, so he's trying to save the crank. He had the oil drained with the drain plug out...had the oil pan unbolted 'cept the passenger side bolts. He hit the torch to the crankshaft and that biich exploded, no bowlshet. It was louder than an airbag, shook the floor, and there was a mushroom cloud after that thing blew. The oil pan was rtv'd and it blew that oil pan right off. If dude would have had different bolts out of the oil pan, he woulda been injured. I work about 4 stalls down and I totally saw the whole thing. It was pretty awesome to see.
(this is completely unrelated to this thread. Just a funny story.) :)

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Here's the Odyssey page (http://www.odysseybattery.com/battspecs.html) for anyone that doesn't have it already or is to lazy to jump on Google - no judgement, I'm that lazy too from time to time ... FWIW, there's another page that's odyssey batteries -dot- com (note the plural rather than the singular); that I think is actually a reseller, but looks an awful lot like they're trying to pass themselves off as the main page ... just a head's up, for anyone else that might care.

Our trucks take a 34R/PC1500 from Odyssey, but I've been wondering if a PC2150 (SAE Group31) would fit ... they're not that much bigger, and the added CCA and capacity would sure be nice to have.

Also one of these little guys, would sure make for a pretty reliable backup: blurb & product sale page, be sure to watch their demo video ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts