Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most owners get winter rims that also have the sensors? If so, where did you get them and for what cost.

I live the the BC mountains and the winters are usually on for 5 months of the year, so I believe these would be worth the investment.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
You can buy them from nissan, they run about 70-80 a pop I think......you might be able to get them from ebay, then all that needs to be done, is they have to be set to match your X (however the dealer does that)

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx - I have my dealer looking for them so far

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out Nissan does not make a "winter" rim with the sensor. My choice is the ugly (IMHO) black rims with no sensor for $70 or basic silver rims for $280, that still do not have a sensor. He says most people remount their tires each season, so I am checking out the price on that. I had that sensor catch two problems in the mere 6 months I've had my truck.

You'd think Nissan would consider that many people drive their 4x4's in snow and will want winters???

·
on line
1,208 Posts
OOOOOOOOOO, I miss read your question, I thought you were looking for another set of (4) sensors, for a set of stock rims that you already have. Yeah, sorry about that, I would bet that if your wanting a second set of rims that are factory, to look on craigs list, or ebay for someone selling there old stocker steelies. If i wernt in Iraq I could sell you my old steelies, but there in my garage for another 14 months brother. But serious, check craigs list and ebay, they are on there all the time.

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got it now - I need rims and sensors. But my tire guy has a great solution. I'm mounting the winters on the factory rims and he has some very nice steels to consider when I go back to summers.

However, as we do alot of backroading, should we go with shiny steel or look to some of the brushed metals that will hide rock dings, etc?

p.s. - Iraq location get you off offering yours. Man you must miss your truck, et al.........

·
on line
145 Posts
The way I read it you want to have two sets of rims and tires all with sensors? Won't you have to get the ECM reprogrammed when you change sets to read the "other sensors"?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: When My dad had a 1952 Chevy, in Portland , Oregon, he had a set of STUDED winter tires/wheels he used during the winter (pretty tough then), he kept them in the garage, the rest of the year--

--Thats the last time I heard of "winter sets"--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shutter - I live in the mountains of British Columbia and regularly drive mountain passes for work. I questioned if I could run the all seasons until I did some serious sliding on Saturday. The winters went on today and WHAT a difference.

K1W - don't quite understand the suggestion. Yes I do want two sets of rims as with the cost of remounting twice a year, their paid for in a few years. And I do want sensors, so my tire guys looking into another set of 4 from Nissan for the spiffy rims I'm looking to get next spring to mount the all seasons on. BUT I'm actually looking into some better offroad tires while I can still sell these factories.....

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I know a lot of people here who run winter tires on their cars to help them get around. Then again the snow here isn't that bad and any 4 wheel drive can make it around with regular tires.

They say it makes a huge difference, my boss has a del sol and they put winters on the front only and that is their family winter car, ie if it snows thats what they drive :geek:

·
on line
145 Posts
Backwoods said:
K1W - don't quite understand the suggestion. Yes I do want two sets of rims as with the cost of remounting twice a year, their paid for in a few years. And I do want sensors, so my tire guys looking into another set of 4 from Nissan for the spiffy rims I'm looking to get next spring to mount the all seasons on. BUT I'm actually looking into some better offroad tires while I can still sell these factories.....
From what I have read on the forums the ECM can only read 4 sensors. When you swap your winter rim/tire set for the summer set you will have to have the ECM reprogrammed to read the new sensors. So every~ 6 months the stealership will charge you a programming fee.

I might be wrong..... hopefully someone will correct this if I am.

·
on line
564 Posts
XVTer said:
I bought a set of summer wheels from tirerack and got the sensors from them as well. I use my stockers for winter and offroading....
Do you have to do anything special when you mount the extra wheels, like reprogram the ECM, so that the TPMS sensors work?

In other words...will our trucks work with two complete sets of sensors with out reprogramming the ECM?

Rob

·
on line
1,208 Posts
hope things work out, and i would go with a set of rims for the summer that you wont mind getting some scrathes and dings on, mine have a couple of scratches on them from my wheeling, but its your truck, so you do what you want....just letting you know, they will get chipped and scratched from wheeling.

·
on line
564 Posts
XVTer said:
I have to get it reprogrammed for the new sensors when I switch wheels...
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Rob

·
on line
239 Posts
I run two different sets of wheels/tires for summer winter. The stock tires were just too scary in the snow to let my wife drive on. I just pop by the dealer and they reprogram it for me real quick twice a year. I bought a set of OR rims from a junkyard that came with the sensors. 500 for the set. This was early on when there weren't any aftermarket or steel wheels available yet, so it was pretty much my only choice.

·
on line
564 Posts
XVTer said:
I have to get it reprogrammed for the new sensors when I switch wheels.
knaffie said:
...I just pop by the dealer and they reprogram it for me real quick twice a year...

How much is the stealer charging you guys for the reprogramming?

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts