Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Xterra and have been going crazy with windshield washer problems. At first it would intermittently not activate (front or back) the sprayer motor (no motor sound, wipers work). This became worse until it stopped working altogether for the most part. Of course I checked the fuse even though it didn't sound like a fuse issue. I took things apart and got to the pump which worked fine when I applied 12 volts manually. Checking voltages at the pump, it looked like the switch was only working intermittently (12V sometimes, nothing other times). I took the switch off the driver column and checked it as per the service manual, and it was not making both of the connections it was supposed to make for activation. I traded out the switch with a new part from the dealer (which I checked against my old one, and it did make both connections, confirming the problem) and things worked great for a month, and now I'm back to the same exact problem. Right now it is working more often than not which makes diagnosis difficult, but I know I'm headed down the same path. Before I call Nissan and complain that I got another bad switch, are other people having the same problem? I searched the forums and someone mentioned a tech bulletin about these switches but I can't seem to find the bulletin or any other mention of it. I imagine if my 2011 had a problem and a new switch is failing too, other people must be having the same issue. Any info would be a huge help. Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There was another guy who posted a similar problem with his headlight switch not too long ago. As you know from the service manual, both the headlight and wiper switches are basically wired together forming a switch matrix which controls the logic input to the BCM. He did the same thing you did - checked and rechecked the switches, swapped them out, etc. In the end, it turned out his problem was a short somewhere in the wiring harness that runs up the steering column. IIRC, the Nissan dealer charged him something like $500 to replace the entire harness.

·
Registered
113 Posts
dredging up a old post, thought to keep em together.

Appears I am having this issue also-out of the blue washer pump is not working, though I have'nt had much time to diagnose it yet. I did check fuse f15(?) @ the fuse box in the engine bay, and it was not tripped, but did have a odd scorch discoloration to the blades, no corrosion. I'll replace the fuse to see what results, and possibly hit up the stealership- though I am covered.

Anyone else having this issue?

PS I could not find a TBN on it either

1 - 3 of 3 Posts