Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I wasn't sure what category this problem fit into exactly, so I decided to put it in general. Also, please forgive me for any mistakes I make; I created this account purely to gain insight into fixing this problem (it's annoying the crap out of me) and I don't usually use forums.

I recently purchased a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X. I absolutely love the car and plan to build it into something I can take offroading and camping. I bought it about two weeks ago and up until recently (about two days ago), hadn't used the windshield sprayer to clean the windshield. Both the front and back wipers move fine, and both sprayers spray fluid fine. The problem is that the controls on the steering column stalk seem to be switched or reversed. Let me explain what I mean:

When you pull the right-side stalk forward, the front sprayers should activate and the wipers should automatically wipe a couple of times. When the stalk is pushed backward, the rear sprayer should activate and the wiper should wipe a couple of times. However, when I pull the stalk forward, the front wipers wipe, and the rear sprayer sprays. When I push the stalk backward, the front sprayers spray, and the rear wiper wipes. I know this sounds like some kind of joke, but I can assure you that it isn't. I texted the previous owner and he had no helpful information on how to fix it; I guess he just dealt with it and didn't bother attempting to repair it. It sounded like the problem started before he purchased the car.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I would guess it's something electrical-related, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

· Registered
2017 crew sv
361 Posts
This same issue popped up a month or two ago.
The washer pump is tucked under the front passenger fender, rearward of the wheel. . You can pull down the plastic liner and the pump will be visible, where you can simply switch the position of the hoses.

· Registered
2,712 Posts
The washer pump is tucked under the front passenger fender, rearward of the wheel. . You can pull down the plastic liner and the pump will be visible, where you can simply switch the position of the hoses.
Exactly the right fix for this. Mine had the same problem when I first bought it.

· Registered
647 Posts
Hello everyone

I wasn't sure what category this problem fit into exactly, so I decided to put it in general. Also, please forgive me for any mistakes I make; I created this account purely to gain insight into fixing this problem (it's annoying the crap out of me) and I don't usually use forums.

I recently purchased a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X. I absolutely love the car and plan to build it into something I can take offroading and camping. I bought it about two weeks ago and up until recently (about two days ago), hadn't used the windshield sprayer to clean the windshield. Both the front and back wipers move fine, and both sprayers spray fluid fine. The problem is that the controls on the steering column stalk seem to be switched or reversed. Let me explain what I mean:

When you pull the right-side stalk forward, the front sprayers should activate and the wipers should automatically wipe a couple of times. When the stalk is pushed backward, the rear sprayer should activate and the wiper should wipe a couple of times. However, when I pull the stalk forward, the front wipers wipe, and the rear sprayer sprays. When I push the stalk backward, the front sprayers spray, and the rear wiper wipes. I know this sounds like some kind of joke, but I can assure you that it isn't. I texted the previous owner and he had no helpful information on how to fix it; I guess he just dealt with it and didn't bother attempting to repair it. It sounded like the problem started before he purchased the car.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I would guess it's something electrical-related, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.
I have no insight into this problem, but I do have to mention that your profile pic is one of the best things I've seen in a while.

What the others have said sounds like a good fix to me.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did this yesterday and it fixed the problem. Not sure how/why the hoses got switched in the first place though... oh well. Thanks for the help!

· Registered
1,944 Posts
I was having deja vu. Even looking to see if I'd replied to this thread already, cause i KNOW i answered the question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts