Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the windshield replaced last week (4 month old '07 X) - took a rock on the highway, crack ran halfway across before I got home. Called my insurance company, USAA, used a well known glass company that begins with Safe and ends with Lite - the choice of USAA. The installer ran the seal cutting tool down both sides and SCRAPED the A pillar down thru the paint all the way on both sides. The estimate from my Nissan dealer for repair is $641 - took estimate back to the glass company like the installer suggested. While it doesn't look too bad since it's the sandstone color, it would look terrible on black or dark blue, and night armor.

Curious if anyone has had this experience before?
Waiting to hear back from glass company on what they're gonna do.
Edge seal is different on the new glass, can't stuff the satellite antenna lead back in there either. Bad deal all around!!!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would never use Safe-Lite. Around me the place to go to for glass replacement is Ryan's Autoglass. It's a small local chain, but the best in the business IMO.

Obviously that doesn't help you, or anyone not in the Pittsburgh area.

Best you can hope with is that the installing company doesn't give you grief and that the dealer does a good job.

If the glass company does give you a hard time, I would go back to the insurance company. As a matter of fact, if you have not done so yet, I would call them now and let them know what's going on. That way it's on file if you need it.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i've used safe-lit several times...always very easy to work with and they did a very professional job every time, not issues or problems afterwards (i didn't even have to contact my insurance company, they did it for me)

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I've had a window installer do the same thing on another car. Ran a deep
gouge on the A pillar all the way down to bare metal. During the process
of getting repair estimates and fighting with the glass company who kept
claiming that their "best installer" would never do such a thing, my car got
totaled compliments of a drunk driver.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
brett said:
Had the windshield replaced last week (4 month old '07 X) - took a rock on the highway, crack ran halfway across before I got home. Called my insurance company, USAA, used a well known glass company that begins with Safe and ends with Lite - the choice of USAA. The installer ran the seal cutting tool down both sides and SCRAPED the A pillar down thru the paint all the way on both sides. The estimate from my Nissan dealer for repair is $641 - took estimate back to the glass company like the installer suggested. While it doesn't look too bad since it's the sandstone color, it would look terrible on black or dark blue, and night armor.
I'm getting ready to replace the windshield in the wife's car through USAA... out of curiosity, how was the deal, did you have to pay deductible or anything?

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had USAA for many years, and when you call in you get the automated prompts, one for glass breakage claims - and you work with a claims rep who can schedule Safelite on the fly (but you do have a choice they said). I paid a $100 deductable, I called at 8:40am and had someone out at my house before noon the same day. It was all great until the guy called me over there to show it to me - although he was straight and up front about it, showed me the tool, some screw head on the back that did the scratching, apologized several times (he truly felt bad).

I live 7 miles south of a granite quarry - its on a major interstate into the city. Needless to say, I've had my share of windshields. First bad experience with Safelite. USAA has been really good, and I did by the way, inform them of the incident right off the bat.

·
on line
82 Posts
With USAA, cracked glass is VERY different than chipped glass. USAA, along with most other insurance companies will pay to have chips in your windshield fixed for free, with no deductable. Their thinking is "it costs $50 to fix a chip and $500+ to replace a windshield...we'll just pay to fix it now so this cheap bastard doesn't wait until it gets bad enough to have to replace it."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts