Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody else noticed that the xterra seems to be prone to rock chips etc on the windshield? Or maybe I have had just a run of bad luck?

i ordered the bug shield and am waiting on it, hoping it will stop these stone chips from happening... at least it will keep the bugs off the glass..

thanks..

·
on line
283 Posts
The first week I had my X I got smacked twice with rocks, one left a nice chip. I bought the hood guard and it seems to have helped, though if something bounces at the right angle, there's no stopping it from hitting the windshield.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
usmc xterra said:
I have a witness! I went to Lake Erie last year and a tennis ball sized rock slammed my windshield and left nothing, I thought it was going to come through! And now, long after not even a chip, Rain X? Luck? MC
You have a marine windshield, just like bullets bounce off your chest :geek:

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I had a big piece of wood hit my windshield the first day i drove it. I was doing about 75 MPH. there wasn't any damage

·
on line
73 Posts
Mine came with the bug shield, but I did notice a couple of chips the other day when I was applying Rain X.
I'll have them sealed in a couple of weeks when I leave Jackson Hole. Nobody here has a windshield without chips or cracks.

Window question:
I put Rain X on the outside of all my windows, overkill I know. What is the best way to get rid of the oily sheen on the rear windows?
I also noticed that the Rain X on the rear window has acquired a nice coating of fine dust, anyone else's do that? Any ideas on how to keep the rear window cleaner?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
my rear window alwasy gets dusty. I clean it by using the rear wiper :geek:

So far no rocks to my front windshield, knock on wood.

·
on line
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ewww ewww.

i got the answer....

wash it at least once per week...

:)

i wash mine weekly... and wax it like once per 2 months....

and never, i repeat NEVER, just hose off your car without thoroughly washing it.. I used to just hose off the pollen etc and it caused water stains all over my car. I have since wised up and only take a hose to the car if i can afford the time to wash and towel dry the thing. if you can't afford the time to dry it off, then don't bother washing it..

·
on line
73 Posts
I agree, and have been washing regularly.
This is the darkest car I've owned (except old cars with worn out paint).
The midnight blue just loves to show dirt. It does look great when cleaned though!

·
on line
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i got silver for the very reason that it's easy to keep looking nice...

:)

·
on line
877 Posts
Dbling said:
Mine came with the bug shield, but I did notice a couple of chips the other day when I was applying Rain X.
I'll have them sealed in a couple of weeks when I leave Jackson Hole. Nobody here has a windshield without chips or cracks.

Window question:
I put Rain X on the outside of all my windows, overkill I know. What is the best way to get rid of the oily sheen on the rear windows?
I also noticed that the Rain X on the rear window has acquired a nice coating of fine dust, anyone else's do that? Any ideas on how to keep the rear window cleaner?
for rainx, you first have to make sure your glass isn't hot or is in the direct sun.

then, have to apply it heavily, wipe. wait a few minutes. wipe. wait a few more minutes, clean and wipe.

then, you won't have to worry about any residue.

·
on line
73 Posts
Thanks Blake.
I think that was the issue. It's only on the windows that are tinted (hotter), and in the sun.
I'm at work and don't have the bottle of Rain X in front of me, do you have a good way to take it off so I can re-apply?

·
on line
877 Posts
silverflash said:
has anybody else noticed that the xterra seems to be prone to rock chips etc on the windshield? Or maybe I have had just a run of bad luck?

i ordered the bug shield and am waiting on it, hoping it will stop these stone chips from happening... at least it will keep the bugs off the glass..

thanks..
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT

this is the ONLY thing that will take out pit marks, and chips in windshields. i have never tried it, but people at autopia believe in it, and that's a sign right there.

·
on line
189 Posts
I was never a huge fan of Rain-X. It always bothered me as it was wearing off. I just wax the windows. Acts just like Rain-X, saves me some $$ too

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Be thankful that you drive an X and not an FJ. With that vertical windshield I'm sure that a rock which would have deflected off of our truck would certainly crack an FJ windshield.

I'm not a fan of Rain-X either. The stuff does what it says as far helping clear your windshield of rain, but I found that over time it builds up a film on the glass that I couldn't remove. I applied it to cool glass while in the garage and out of the sun, but it still got filmy. Reapplying didn't seem to help, so I just don't use it anymore. As far as waxing the windshield, I haven't tried that, but I do use an old product called Glass Wax. It is a liquid window and mirror cleaner. Goes on pink, then dries white. Polish it when it has dried to a haze. Years ago they used to sell stencils w/ Glass Wax that you would put up to a window and dab the product in the cut out. Christmas designs. Would show up white from outside. After Christmas you would just take a cloth and rub the stuff off to remove the design and clean your windows at the same time. A firefighter I knew said that Glass Wax was what they used to wax their trucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts