Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
on line
1,824 Posts
If you're looking for your key, go to www.belarc.com. Download and run the advisor, it will give you a list of all of your keys at the bottom. If you have a Dell, the key is in BIOS and all you need is a Dell OS disc. The OS will load and search BIOS for the key. You'll be all set. You cannot use any old OS installation CD to take advantage of this though.
So, would i be able to, say, torrent a copy of vista home, 32-bit, which is what i have, find that key.. then do what i want with it, like, reformat and start fresh???

·
on line
1,824 Posts
It should be right on your PC/laptop. Mine is on the bottom. It's a Microsoft Windows sticker, pinkish and blueish with 2 hologram strips through it. It will have your product key on it.
I hate you... haha... :)

never noticed it there, well, i never really searched for it tho, so that is why i never noticed it... fun times. haha.. so i guess now, i should be able to do the ^above^ question???

haha, thats funny... o well, whatever, never looked so never saw it... awesome.

·
on line
1,824 Posts
EDIT : Actually, that shouldn't really matter now that I think about it. Get a vanilla/generic copy of Vista, it should install on any PC and won't have the extra crap with it. Now if you tried to install a "Dell Vista" version, it would only install on a Dell, the other way around shouldn't matter. I still recommend trying on another hard drive first, even an older smaller one.
Ok, if i do this said non-endorse'd torrent dl (which i have NEVER EVER done before ;)), how would i try to do this on a seperate hard drive, i have a 1.5 tb drive hooked up right now to my HP laptop with media on it, but i also have a spare usb-drive (160gb)... how would i try to run it on the spare drive? i have never done this before....

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you have XP, you will have driver issues. Some drivers can be substituted to work on your current equipment, some cannot. Case in point - I built my parents a new beast with 7, upgrading them from XP. Their printer works but not with the driver intended for it. Their scanner, sadly, does not. They had to purchase a new one. Such is the case with major OS releases.
BS! I had the same printer and scanner going from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 to 98SE to Millinium to Windows 2000 to XP. It wasn't until the release of Vista that all of a sudden I couldn't find drivers for them, as neither the manufacturer (HP) nor MS wanted to write new drivers for them. I'm convinced it was because they (HP) wanted to sell new printers. That old printer worked perfectly still. I had to garage sale it and that still pisses me off because I worked fine and I have had all kinds of problems with its replacement.

·
on line
120 Posts
Recall Windows Vista!!!

Microsoft should recall Windows Vista, provide Windows 7 for free and send
each customer a $100 as compensation for the pain when using Windoes Vista!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I upgraded to 7 about a month ago. IMO, it is so much more convenient and easy to use than Vista. I would definitely recommend 7. And driver problems are relatively easy to fix as well in 7.

Do It.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And driver problems are relatively easy to fix as well in 7.
That's what I was told for Vista with my printer drivers. No easy fix at all, neither MS nor HP ever wrote them. I had tried to use many types of other drivers to get that printer to work, and nothing helped. Perfectly good (and expensive initially) laser printer gone to waste.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nah, don't upgrade to W7, you don't need the headaches of something all new-fangled and fancy as 7. Stick with Vista. Tried and true.

·
Registered
76 Posts
During this time of work and school from home, my family needed more devices; pulled out a retired laptop and fired it up. 1st screen: Would you like to run Vista or 7?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts