Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating buying a license for my home (3 computers). I am especially interesting in running it on my laptop, as its resources are already pretty stretched running Vista and I can't install any more memory in it (its already got the max in it.)

The one thing I'm most interested in (or rather NOT interested in) is problems with drivers. For example, when I had to replace my wife's PC, all I could get was a Vista box (the dead computer was running Windows 2K and then XP), I had to get a new printer, because they wouldn't supply drivers for a perfectly good five year old HP printer (I blame both HP and MS for that.) I also had problems finding drivers for my flatbed scanner.

So how about it, is it worth it?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
In short, definitely. I've been using Windows 7 for about 6 months now and I'm very impressed. My PC that I built a couple of years ago is

-Pentium D dual-core 3Ghz
-Asus PL5D2 motherboard
-2GB Kingston RAM
-4 IDE drives
-1 SATA drive
-Radeon X1950Pro vid card

I have mutiboot running Mandriva Linux, Windows XP, Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.

Win7 definitely gives Vista a run for it's money. Much faster in every way, and I didn't have to search out any special drivers for anything, everything works great including software. I have the same ton of software installed in XP, Vista and 7. Vista is the slowest, XP is faster but 7 is faster that both.

I was one that never had a problem with Vista. Although I didn't get it when it first came out, but I did hear about all the horror stories. I got my new laptop xmas of 2007 as a gift to myself and it came with Vista Ultimate. Did the 2000 updates as soon as I brought it home and never had a problem. Still runs great. Was able to hook up all my same printers, cameras, cell phones etc etc without a hitch. Win7 came out surprisingly with no problems, for me anyways. Installed my usual arsenal of software with no problems and the GUI is simply impressive, although like Vista, it steals alot of cool visual features from Linux but I won't get into that.

When my Win7 version expires, I will definitely fork out the cash to keep it!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Those are some good notes to keep in mind. I've been running XP pro since it came out and have to tried to avoid Vista at all costs and still have never found the need to try it. I bought my parents a Dell for Xmas that qualifies for a windows 7 upgrade. The comp's still sitting in the box til I get the upgrade then will install it for them before Xmas. Can't wait to try it first hand after reading some of the reviews online. May have to get a new laptop for myself heh.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
844 Posts
Win 7 uses Vista drivers (well almost always).

No problems on 3 computers including a slow (800 mz) UMPC.

But then Vista has always worked fine for me and my clients.
It just had a ton of bad publicity.

Toy Man

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Win 7 uses Vista drivers (well almost always).

No problems on 3 computers including a slow (800 mz) UMPC.

But then Vista has always worked fine for me and my clients.
It just had a ton of bad publicity.

Toy Man
Deservedly so. If you had a good XP build, "upgrading" to Vista was a waste of money.

Get W7 if you need/want it. It's a good upgrade from XP or Vista.

I had Vista on an inexpensive laptop (Acer 5100) and it ran poorly. Added another gig of RAM (total of 2) and it still was sluggish. I dumped the Vista install for XP and it runs much more smoothly now.

I'm in a similar situation as you in that I have two other computers running XP and Vista but I'm not convinced that I need to upgrade to W7 just yet.

·
on line
366 Posts
I've been using the "RC" version for a while, and recently bought the full version, and really like it. I was running XP 32 for a looong time and never upgraded to vista.

Windows 7 works pretty awesome on my PC, although I recently upgraded everything so it's pretty beefy. (quad core, 8gb ram, 2 radeon 4850's) My old canon scannner didn't work with windows7, but it wasn't a huge deal since it was only about $25.

·
on line
2,882 Posts
Just bought a new HP laptop with 7 on it.
Gotta say i'm impressed. Runs, operates and integrates with everything seamlessly.
Installed my autocad and alibre software without any issues either.
Thumbs up from me!

·
on line
1,824 Posts
ive been contemplating this option as well, i personally hate vista. i have an HP DV6000 series laptop i got for school about 2 years ago, 2gb ram, 160hd, (1.5tb external thru usb port), so i dont think i will run into any problem as far as memory goes.

One think that annoys me is that the laptop came with vista pre-installed, and all i could do in case of fatal errors, is a factory restore, i could not just format the drive and start over, well.. if there is a way i never figured it out, o well. i think im gonna pick up a copy of 7 at costco where i work for $109.99

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Vista got a really bad rep because it was released in a way that it still seemed like an incomplete Beta version. They did have lots of problems but you have to keep in mind that much of it was re-written instead of being upgraded from the previous version. I'm far from being a fan of Microsoft but I will say that they did do a good job of fixing all the problems they initially had. Like I stated before, I got my Vista system in December 07, and did all my updates right away, and haven't had a problem with it whatsoever.

ive been contemplating this option as well, i personally hate vista. i have an HP DV6000 series laptop i got for school about 2 years ago, 2gb ram, 160hd, (1.5tb external thru usb port), so i dont think i will run into any problem as far as memory goes.

One think that annoys me is that the laptop came with vista pre-installed, and all i could do in case of fatal errors, is a factory restore, i could not just format the drive and start over, well.. if there is a way i never figured it out, o well. i think im gonna pick up a copy of 7 at costco where i work for $109.99
If the only reason you won't upgrade to Vista is because of the way it looks, you can change the theme to make it look like Windows 2000. There are even themes that make it look like XP that you can download. It is sluggish if you have less than 2GB of RAM. I would even recommend 3GB for the 32-bit(which is the max amount supported) or 4GB for the 64-bit.

It does suck when your system comes with it and you don't have the original disk... This is why you should use your system restore, that's what it's there for. You can also backup all your stuff. Every few months I backup my entire drive with Ghost, just in case something happens.

My brother just went to 7, said the only diff he can tell from Vista is the control panel display looks different.
7 is very similar. But the home networking is far better and easier to use than any other Windows version. The driver support is better. The security is much better and not as annoying as Vista, it won't pop up and ask you for permissions for everything. If you like the security of being in full control and don't mind the prompts, you can turn this on.

The device manager is one thing among many other control programs that has improved and is much easier to use.

The GUI also has lots of new tricks.

The taskbar has a few options on how you want your open windows displayed. They can be grouped, when you hover over the group's icon, thumbnails of all the windows in the group will show up, and when you hover over one, all the windows will go transparent with only white outlines except for the one you're hovering over, then you just click the one you want. You can also go back to old school XP/Vista taskbar if you wish.

The quicklaunch bar is easy to use and has a few cool features. If you have an open app, you can right click on the program in the tab and pin it to the taskbar so it will always be there. The icon will glow when the program is running, when you close it, the icon will stay but will no longer glow. If this is an application that has history like recently open files, or recent/fav URL's, you can right-click on the icon and it will show you the recently open files/URL's so that the program will open to that link.

If you have multiple windows open that you want to get rid of except for one, grab the one you want by the title bar and shake it with the mouse, all the other windows will minimize. If you want them back, shake it again.

It has new features but remains familiar which is nice. I never thought I would be writing good things about a Microsoft product since I'm a Linux guy, but Windows 7 really surprised me as much as Vista did.

But I still don't agree with changing operating systems every couple of years. They only do it to make money and keep it "fresh". If they were smart, they would just build on an already good stable OS that is built to be expanded and upgraded. They need to go the way of Mac and Linux with core systems and a modular design.

·
on line
118 Posts
I've definitely think it's worth, just a little expensive. There was a 3 pc upgrade pack for $150 from the Microsoft store. It does not appear to be available anymore or sold out at their participating retailers. If you have a .edu email (even some of the alumni ones seem to work) you can get it for $30 - www.win741.com.

·
on line
1,824 Posts
If the only reason you won't upgrade to Vista is because of the way it looks, you can change the theme to make it look like Windows 2000. There are even themes that make it look like XP that you can download. It is sluggish if you have less than 2GB of RAM. I would even recommend 3GB for the 32-bit(which is the max amount supported) or 4GB for the 64-bit.

It does suck when your system comes with it and you don't have the original disk... This is why you should use your system restore, that's what it's there for. You can also backup all your stuff. Every few months I backup my entire drive with Ghost, just in case something happens.
I know what system restore is for, and i do use it. the thing that annoys me is that with this computer, i paid for a version on windows vista home premium, so, where is my copy at? pre-loaded on my computer, so anytime i restore, or use the back-up discs i was prompted to create when i first got the computer, it restores to factory settings, and i dont want all that proprietary factory sh!t that comes pre-loaded.

I could care less what it looks like also??? haha, dont know where that came from :scratch: :iconbiggrin:...

I agree that vista runs much smoother with their service packs and other updates, the first thing problem i encountered with vista was, everytime i would defrag, i would lose audio drivers, and would have to search online to find, re-dl, and re-install them, it was a pita.

·
on line
3,330 Posts
For all you SolidWorks guys pretty soon you won't have a choice but to upgrade:

The following excerpt is from http://files.solidworks.com/Supportfiles/Release_Notes/2010/English/relnotes.htm

Windows XP Retirement Announcement

Microsoft officially retired Windows® XP operating system in April of 2009. SolidWorks 2010 will continue to support Windows XP (32 and 64 bit versions) excluding operating systems related issues or fixes. This level of support will continue through at least one release following SolidWorks 2010. After that, in conjunction with Microsoft’s support policies, only Windows Vista® and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit versions) operating systems will be supported. The SolidWorks operating system support plan outlined above will also apply to the SolidWorks Simulation and SolidWorks Enterprise PDM product lines.

Support for Windows 7

SolidWorks supports the Microsoft® Windows 7 operating system with the following caveats:

* Since the graphics drivers included with Windows 7 do not support accelerated OpenGL, many SolidWorks features are not available. Running SolidWorks on Windows 7 requires a supported graphics driver for RealView graphics.
* Running the 64-bit version of SolidWorks on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 requires Microsoft Office 2007 for full support of tables.
*The 64-bit version of SolidWorks on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 does not display tables for SolidWorks files containing Microsoft Office 2003 components.

·
on line
2,641 Posts
I fired up a 64bit Win7 Ultimate box about a month ago. I dig it over Vista. No problems with device drivers, all my old programs installed fine. The only problem that I have ran into so far was when I tried to edit a Garmin Mapsource file, that was created on an XP box. When saving it said I didn't have permissions, logged in as an administrator didn't matter. I just saved a new version and all is fine. Gonna play with it some more to figure out if its just a locked down security issue.

I would go for it. But you might want to look into the different versions. I know that the XP program compatibility only comes with Professional or Ultimate. But I am noob with this OS right now.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Without getting all geekified on you guys, just get it. It's wonderful. I, like some others, have been running it since February. It's now the primary OS on all of my computers. If you have XP, you will have driver issues. Some drivers can be substituted to work on your current equipment, some cannot. Case in point - I built my parents a new beast with 7, upgrading them from XP. Their printer works but not with the driver intended for it. Their scanner, sadly, does not. They had to purchase a new one. Such is the case with major OS releases.

That being said, performance is amazing. I have it on everything from my Q6600, to a Centrino 2Ghz and it performs wonderfully on all. SSDs, and standard drives alike. It boots quickly, it shuts down quickly. It runs just about everything I've thrown at it so far. And for things that won't run, there's the virtual XP machine called "XP Mode". It truly is worth.

As far as licenses, I'm pretty sure you can get away with 2 or 3 activations on a single key. If you ever have to reload, just call them, it takes 10 minutes and you tell them you're reloading a computer and need to use the key again.

Those who ask me about it and reference Vista, I tell them it's "Vista, fixed". The interface takes a bit to get used to, but the jumplists are awesome. you'll learn to love it.

Too bad we can't say the same for the Office Ribbon.

·
on line
1,824 Posts
Haha Sorry, the complaint from most people is the way it looks just because people are comfortable with their current OS :p

I do agree that it sucks not getting a CD but I think that's a big reason why a pre-loaded copy is much cheaper than a disc copy. I mean, what would happen if your hard drive crashed and you lost your recovery partition? You can't restore onto a new drive without it. Although I think you could get around this by downloading a Vista disc ISO and using your original key, which I don't think would be illegal since you own the license.

I also hate pre-installed crap when you buy an HP, or Toshiba etc etc. That's one reason I'm glad I got a Seanix. No crappy add-on software from the laptop manufacturer, just Vista :D
Yea dude, haha.. thats what i want to do next, buy something with NO pre-loaded poop on it and just install what i want, i dont like having all that crap that i never use, even tho i go in and remove all the programs i dont want, its still annoying ya know.

The thing about the ISO tho, where would i find my copy of the licensce that i technically own, i have never seen one, not that im too worried at this point cuz ill prolly just get 7 and do, aww... what is it, well, install 7 while at the same time basically formatting everything off my computer.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Yea dude, haha.. thats what i want to do next, buy something with NO pre-loaded poop on it and just install what i want, i dont like having all that crap that i never use, even tho i go in and remove all the programs i dont want, its still annoying ya know.

The thing about the ISO tho, where would i find my copy of the licensce that i technically own, i have never seen one, not that im too worried at this point cuz ill prolly just get 7 and do, aww... what is it, well, install 7 while at the same time basically formatting everything off my computer.
If you're looking for your key, go to www.belarc.com. Download and run the advisor, it will give you a list of all of your keys at the bottom. If you have a Dell, the key is in BIOS and all you need is a Dell OS disc. The OS will load and search BIOS for the key. You'll be all set. You cannot use any old OS installation CD to take advantage of this though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts