Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this might have been spoken about..

but, Hate this regarding the 2007 X.

When the rear windows are down & the front are up... the preasure wave it creates when you do 55 Mph.. shesh.. starts to hur the ear drums. Radio starts to fade In & out with the thump.

radio, starts to shutter, Its like the whole X-box starts to Thump from the preasure.. only cure is not to have both windows in rear down.

·
TNX Administrator
20,363 Posts
Same thing happens in 2006's, the vibration caused by the rear windows down and especially if one rear window is down really hurts the ears. It stops if I crack open one of the front windows. Don't know what else to do to prevent it.

·
on line
631 Posts
not just the X. my mom's titan has the same sound.
i think its a nissan thing, i dont understand.

·
on line
641 Posts
Look in your owners manual.
For the 2006, in the "Starting and driving" section, under "PRECAUTIONS WHEN STARTING AND DRIVING", it says:

• Keep the lift gate and rear windows
    closed while driving, otherwise exhaust
    gases could be drawn into the passenger
    compartment. If you must drive with
    the lift gate or rear windows open, follow
    these precautions:
    1. Open all the windows.
    2. Set the air recirculation button
    (if so equipped) to off and the fan
    control dial to 4 (high) to circulate
    the air.

So yes, you do get the 'thumping' sound when driving at speed with the front windows up and the rear windows down, but I guess Nissan doesn't consider it a problem, because you "aren't supposed to do that" ;-)

Other vehicles, from other manufacturers, have the same problem.

The in-channel rain & wind deflectors will make the problem less severe, but don't eliminate it.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang, was driving down a wash board road. 25 to 40 ish MPH. The Thump was bad, radio faded.

Thinking about now, I am not sure if the rear were down or not. With just front windows open. ( will test nxt time, since I know the reasons now).

Just odd, to have that thump. Aerodynamic wind preasure, just have to alter the flow to fix.

Do wish the rear window on the lift gate opened up, like the lift gate. OH well. :)

·
on line
87 Posts
Just crack the passenger side window a tiny bit and it stops. It's just because the back is so cavernous, the air vibrates back there and has nowhere to go. Not a big deal.

·
on line
975 Posts
XVTer said:
syndicate said:
It's not a brand-specific phenomenon. It's an aerodynamics phenomenon.
X2, my blazer did it as well
X3 My 2000 Jetta does this as well.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
X_Trippin said:
XVTer said:
syndicate said:
It's not a brand-specific phenomenon. It's an aerodynamics phenomenon.
X2, my blazer did it as well
X3 My 2000 Jetta does this as well.
funny our 03 Jetta does this too.

I just roll down all the windows, or crack the ones I don't want all the way down in both vehicles.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
if you think that is bad( i have the same thing btw), my 1988 big bronco I had, exhibited a neat problem with it's two front (only passenger windows it had) down. the air would come in, bounce around and cause the top of the back cargo area (roof above rear pass and cargo area) to vibrate really quicly and thump in out). this issue was elimated by using the remote rear window roll down switch....

all high speed moving things have this sort of thing in some fashion, it's just physics... i for one, can't stand it when one of the kids rolls down the rear window if i have mine rolled up for this very same thing (thumping), and i then roll mine down, or over-rule the kids, cause I can, i'm dad...

:)

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Wow this is like a seinfeld script, your making a pretty long thread by saying the same thing over and over just in differant ways. :bounce: what a tallented bunch we are. My 03 jetta that I traded in for my 06 X did the air thing way worse. :geek:

·
on line
1,739 Posts
The wind is hitting the resonant frequency of the cabin - think blowing across a coke bottle. The coke bottle is much smaller so it has a higher resonate frequency. The cabin has a frequency around 80-120 Hz I would guess. I just crack one of the front windows to "bust" the bottle.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
are we talking about the helicopter sound? i always thought it was because the rear passanger seatbelts are vibrating when the rear windows are down.

take a look next time. im probably wrong.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its the wind preasure... inside the cab.. that thumps.. really feel it on the eardrums.

Crack front window, It will go away. have to eual the preasure.

Had no clue what the heck it was.. till I started to ask around...

simple..

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had to Thump friends ears.. to make him do the wonder?? What is that? Why.. evil grins...

I notice, lots of folks have no clue about this... Or they are just clueless an Never roll down windows.. hmmmm.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Hasn't happened to me since I bought my window deflectors. Although I prefer having my driver's window open 99% of the time anyways, even in the winter.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I actually get a thumping sound at speed even with all the windows closed. I thought it had something to do with the roof rack.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts