Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a trail run with the fam and a friend of mine up to the Wind Caves and then on to Dog Skin Mtn. Had a great time despite the smoke from the Rim fire trying it's best to pee in our Cheerios. Saw some really cool rock formations and had amazing views of the valleys from the top of Dog Skin (elevation 7500ft).

Here are some pics:

Jen playing peek a boo with the trenches near the trailhead:

With 285's and a Spartan, this thing just goes. I sadly took two attempts at this VERY mild ditch:(

Getting close to the caves:

Here's where it got interesting. Very off camber if you stay on the high side, Big drop if you go left. We both chose the drop/slider workout:

My turn:

Very cool views:

Wind Caves:

The girl's first geocache:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Love that area!

That drop going into the Wind Caves seems to erode and change a lot with use and weather. Fun place... glad to see you got the whole family out there! I'm jealous because that is exactly where we were headed on Labor Day w/e till the smoke moved in. Looks like it has cleared up considerably!

Hope to get back to Reno later this year. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That drop going into the Wind Caves seems to erode and change a lot with use and weather. Fun place... glad to see you got the whole family out there! I'm jealous because that is exactly where we were headed on Labor Day w/e till the smoke moved in. Looks like it has cleared up considerably!

Hey Brian! We missed you guys on this trip! I was bummed that the CF meet got canceled due to the smoke but I still think it was a good call. I live not many miles south of Pyramid and that morning was still horrible at my house. We were all shocked that it looked so much better just a few miles up the highway. Crappy thing is there was no way to tell until you got there. I'd hate for you all to drive so far only to see smoke:cussing:

I look forward to clear skies and the next one man:iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm a little late to the party. Thanks for joining me on those trails, Chris - I had a great time.

We went on a different day from when I'd originally scheduled that trail run. I had it scheduled for that Sunday, but Chris and I went Monday. I ended up going to Grass Valley on Sunday, and driving back into Reno that evening was like hitting fog. That would have been an awful day to run a trail. And like Chris said, it was smoky Monday morning when we went too. I was afraid we were going to have to cut it short. I think it was just dumb luck that we were able to enjoy a mostly smoke free day (although it was still pretty hazy). Air quality was in the red the whole week leading up to that weekend.

That rocky section seems a little more eroded every time I go. The pics here don't do it justice at all...but I know you've seen it in person.

Pretty sure Brian and I wheeled with Jen at Frank Raines. she's hardcore. They made me want a Fronty when they went up the Black diamond trail.
Yep, that was me! :)

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:D YUP, shes a cool place and Pyramid Lake is a real gem, if you can get along with the Paiute indians-

I'm 20 minutes from here

:geek::geek: JIMBO

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Cool pics, I never wheeled out at Pyramid Lake, it looks so prehistoric out there, really cool! I used to jetski out there, first 2 seasons I bought my standup, I road it across once from Pelican point to the pyramid, scary feeling out in the middle of that lake, it's been at least 7 years since I stopped going out, the water is nasty, alkalinity is way high, bad for the skis, also the fees to launch are a ripoff, $12 per ski, per day!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
:D YUP, shes a cool place and Pyramid Lake is a real gem, if you can get along with the Paiute indians-

I'm 20 minutes from here

:geek::geek: JIMBO
I prefer admiring it from a distance, away from the Indians. I've only had problems. I head up to Lake Almanor when I need a water fix:)

Nice pics! Looks like a fun time!
Thanks man!

Cool pics, I never wheeled out at Pyramid Lake, it looks so prehistoric out there, really cool! I used to jetski out there, first 2 seasons I bought my standup, I road it across once from Pelican point to the pyramid, scary feeling out in the middle of that lake, it's been at least 7 years since I stopped going out, the water is nasty, alkalinity is way high, bad for the skis, also the fees to launch are a ripoff, $12 per ski, per day!
You should come out with us some time! Jen and I are trying to come up with some more Xterra/Frontier friendly trails around northern NV and I'd love to pick your brain. You could be the guy to help us get the first Nissans through Steve's Loop !

I miss my old Kawi 550, was a sad day when that thing all but cracked in half:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts