Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and "cough..." XOC about winches. Is it pretty much the general opinion that the Warn XD9000i is the best winch for our application, ie Shrock Bumpers?

If so, what are some of the better prices you guys have found it for?
If not, what other makes/models would you reccomend?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I shopped at the winch depot.com 4 wheel parts was another one I heard good things about. I think it's like one of those how you are going to use it things. I choose a MM because the warranty was 2 years instead of Warn's one year, Not saying it's a better winch but saying I was cover for 2 years. Everytime I get stuck it's like move me a foot and I am on my own again. I try to avoid getting bogged down. MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at... Why is Warn so much more popular?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would skip an 8k winch and get a 9k. You would be shocked at what that extra 1000lbs can get ya out of.

Brand doesn't matter all that much.

Get synthetic line (I use Amsteel Blue).

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I went with a lower cost option. My local Costco stores carry the Champion 8000lb http://www.cpeauto.com/de8000lb_winch.htm for $300. That price included a mounting tray which isn't needed with a Shrockworks bumper as well as a snatch block, fairlead, and wired remote. The few reviews that I found on this winch were favorable. I found someplace that mentioned that it is manufactured in China by the same company as MileMarker. The main reason I went with this option other than price was the Costco lifetime satisfaction guarantee. If the thing fails me I'll curse and spit, used my hi-lift to get me out, and then return the winch to Costco for a refund.

·
on line
589 Posts
Being that my bumper is on order, and I haven't actually seen it yet this might be a question I will get answered right when I see it, but...

Do any of these winches mount on the inside of the Shrockworks Front Bumper without a problem? Also while I am at it, these electric winches all require upgraded batteries, and did I just miss the battery postings on here?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Unless you are winching a lot you don't need a new battery. Just keep the engine running and maybe someone in the vehicle keeping steady pressure on the gas to keep the winch going without draining your battery.

Most of the 8 and 9K winches fit int he Shrock bumper, but I am sure that if you come up with a winch model you are interested in that Jim or someone here could tell you if it will fit or not.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, kneebuster posted about his Champion winch from Costco, but now, they carry a similarly rated Mile Marker winch. How reputable are Mile Markers and does it look like the Mile Marker will fit within a Shrock bumper? Also, what are the red and black switches circled in green? I don't see any external switches on the Champion, leading me to wonder if it'd be tough to operate the Mile Marker with it enclosed in the bumper...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11134673&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

·
on line
3,484 Posts
On my MMPE8000 It fit right in, I just took the solenoid off and relocated it to the backside, It's tight, I leave the control cord plugged in. Just turn it off when not in use. I went MM because they had a 2 year warranty and the price was right, No one else had a 2 year warranty. You won't use it much, so consider that. MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
You might want to consider a 9 or 9.5K winch. You can fit it and you never know when you might need to turn it to 11.

·
on line
735 Posts
You only need to buy one winch..change trucks, yank the winch. I have a warn 9500ti on my jeep. It was $899 when i got it. I'd avoid permanent magnet types because they are too slow, but they will get you out of a jam.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts