Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
463 Posts
Most all of the newer winches
( read for more than ten years) have a standard 4x3/8" bolt pattern in the front. My warn has a slight bit of slip space in the winch housing, for minimal adjustment.
Smittybuilt is one of the more popular names as well.
The Shrockworks bumper has these std. holes in the bumper. Note holes in bumper.

·
on line
463 Posts
You could call Jim at Shrockworks as well ??
Oh Yeah, almost forgot, mine is a 8000 lb winch, second vehicle for the winch. works fine.

·
on line
463 Posts
That Explorer just flat wore out ! I had a 92' Explorer that we bought new and ran for 163,000 miles some off-road, mostly street.
Put suspension, bumper and winch on it.
The guy that bought the truck didn't want the winch.
Like the energizer bunny, the Warn 8000,,,keeps going and going !

Back to the original post, the bolt pattern, on the winch from 1994, worked just fine in the Shrockworks bumper.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I just read through an 8 page thread about this winch on Pirate 4x4; worth the read if you are considering it and don't mind the crude nature of the Pirate board. General impressions seem to be that it is a great cheap winch, but buy better quality if you can afford it.

I'm torn on the issue. I think it may be worth it for $300, if you don't plan to use it much. At the same time, a winch is something you definitely want to be reliable, as it is usually a last resort kinda item, and a quality Warn M8000 can be had for around $500 if you wait for a deal (4 Wheel Parts usually has them on sale for around that). Some winch is better than no winch I suppose, though. I dunno... buy all the winch you can get, but if you are like me, at $300, it can be the difference between having a winch and not. If you are gonna spend $1000+ for a Shrock bumper anyway, though, what is a couple hundred more for a better winch? I'd consider one if I decide to make a front bumper... most of the way done with one for my bro's Land Rover.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The price is what really got me thinking about it. I dont think you can beat 300 bucks anywhere for a winch. And it is a decent company too.

·
on line
47 Posts
I run a MileMarker 9000 lb winch. The winch has been great and is really strong. I have used it a bunch. I went with the 9000 lb model because it comes with the 3/8 (14,400 lbs max) cable instead of the 5/16 (9800 lbs max) that the 8000lb winch comes with. Plus it was only like $20 more. I paid about $399 on Ebay with shipping for a new one.

·
on line
1,059 Posts
You can get a MileMarker for $100 more at the same place. Just food for thought.

But an 8000 lb. should get you more than thru. I'm running a Warn M8000 on my 02 and I've used it many many times. I've even tugged a Titan up a very steep and muddy hill. It pulled it like a champ..

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100 dollars is a 100 dollars, and if you pulled the Titan with an 8000 then it should be cool for the Xterra. I just have to confirm with Jim if that will fit.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The NEW Smittybilt XRC8 8,000lb winch has a hand wound permanent magnetic motor which is the standard for the true off Roader. This is the most reliable motor on the market today. Two Year Limited Warranty, 4.1 hp motor, 3-stage planetary gear system, 265:1 reduction ratio for fast line speed, free spooling, automatic load-holding brake, power in and out and a roller fairlead. A 12 ft illuminated handheld remote control,. Comes with a 5/16" x 92’ galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook. Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5", OAL Dim. 21" x 6.22" x 7.283". This item incurs a $19.99 shipping surcharge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts