Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'll get flamed for asking this on here but it's ok.. I have my flame suit on already. :la:

Anyone ever tried a winch mounted brush guard/bull bar before? I know it's bad for offroading rock crawling due to approach angle but I was thinking it would be ok if you use it for expeditions in the backroads using fire lanes or dirt roads.

I saw this online https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/titan-winch-mount-grille-guard-p-4177.html and I think it looks ok for those that like a more stock-ish look rather than the bulky offroad bumpers.

I know RockyMntX has one for our trucks (which I love and saving for one) but just wanted to throw this out there as well.

FLAME ON! :violent3:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I think that is much more heavy duty than a standard "brush guard". For one of those to handle a winch pull, I would expect them to hold up to minor collisions.

The reason brush guards are so frowned upon, is a minor to moderate front end accident, pushes the whole dang thing into your grill/hood/bumper, causing more damage than would the same collision without a "brush guard".

Looks like a viable alternative to add a winch to a truck without buying a whole new bumper to me.

Disclaimer: I don't know much

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do they even make one for the X?

You still have noobitis if you thing off road bumpers are bulky...lol..I thought that at first too.
I actually didn't research much to see if they have one for the X.

Maybe it just looks massive in online pics.. never really seen one in person closeup before so maybe I do still have noobitis but then again.. maybe I'm one of the few that like the stock X bumper look lol.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that is much more heavy duty than a standard "brush guard". For one of those to handle a winch pull, I would expect them to hold up to minor collisions.
Yeah I was thinking that too. If there's a winch attached to the brush guard then there must be some type of bracket from the guard to the frame of the truck for it to handle such a pull.

Also, I just realized that thing I linked to costs $800! Yikes! I'll just save for the RockyMtnX ones instead.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The obvious question is - if you're only doing trails and fire roads, what do you need a winch for?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The obvious question is - if you're only doing trails and fire roads, what do you need a winch for?
You can never be too careful! Conditions change and roads do get muddy. I also like playing in the snow as well so a winch might come in handy.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you really just want the winch and keep a stock look you could do it way WAY cheaper than 800+ . "Surf and Snow" made a nice brace. looked clean too. if i can find a pic i'll post it. If i wanted to keep a stock look (i dont) i would go to a fab shop and see what they can make ya

edit: found it
Link to build thread

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you really just want the winch and keep a stock look you could do it way WAY cheaper than 800+ . "Surf and Snow" made a nice brace. looked clean too. if i can find a pic i'll post it. If i wanted to keep a stock look (i dont) i would go to a fab shop and see what they can make ya

edit: found it
Link to build thread
Oh yeah.. I already know that one. It's the RockyMntX brace. I was just throwing out different options as well.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts