Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

winch install ?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RockyMtnX 
#1 ·
I have a shrockworks front bumper and i am thinking about installing a winch.I don't do much off road driving yet but want to in the near future.I am looking at the smittybilt 8000lb unit.Will this one fit the shrockworks bumper and would the stock battery be able to handle it? Also how hard is it to wire?

#3 ·
I can't answer about the fit, and I'll hazard that 8k will do, but you may be SOL if you get really fubar; deep sticky mud, sand, anything creating a vacuum.. Always buy as much winch as you can afford, and I've heard nothing but good about T-MAX btw. I run the XD9000i from WARN. It was very useful on my built Gen1, still looking at Gen2 bumpers though.. As for install, very straight ahead. Posi, Neg, that's all really. I also cut in an auxilary power feed, so it can't be run w/o hooking up from under the hood.

#5 ·
I'm assuming he is looking at the Smittybilt for the price (same reason I'd consider one). Obviously, a Warn would be a much better winch, but you'll pay at least twice the money for their cheapest option. At $300, I think a winch for a daily driver/moderate wheeler is justifiable. At $800+ (not sure what the XD9000I runs?), not so much (for me at least).

As for fitment, it has a 10"x4.5" mounting pattern and is about the same size as the M8000, so you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.