Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've searched and have not seen a simple answer.

If you install the Shrockworks bumper and a winch, what has to be done to the front end suspension to counter the added weight? Specifically, what products have people used and what works best to restore the factory 'feel' and height?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
well the simplest thing to do to solve the height issue is to buy a spacer.... Or you could solve the extra weight issue buy getting stiffer springs.

But the best results have come from buying a whole new coilover (like the radflo's)... they are adjustable and have stiffer springs (i think) so the height can be manipulated and the weight is compensated.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any place a stock height spring with a greater (or even a progressive) spring rate can be ordered? For example, If the stock are 300# springs and I add on the bumper and winch and calculate I need 500# springs to counteract the weight, is there a place I can get such beasts?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Sounds like a custom order. I havent heard of anything like that for our trucks being offered. The only stiffer spring you can get is from AC and they only have one spring rate to choose (I forget what it is).

·
on line
4,593 Posts
When I first started looking around at the local fab shops, they all seem to have a spring shop that they deal with. But, as Eddo said, it would be a custom order. No idea how they would match up with the existing Bilstein front shocks.

Keep in mind that the shocks, springs, and bumpstops are all integral to how the suspension behaves. The shocks and springs, in particular, need to 'matched' to one another as well as the load that they're expected to carry. If you want a good lesson call Greg at PRG and you'll learn alot.

I'm very new to off roading and car mechanics in general. However I do know that the typical Radflo coilover setup from PRG is 750# Eibach springs; although you could order #500 springs.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you can get the radflos from PRG and dial them down to stock height since they are adjustable.....this would be the best option if you want to retain stock height since they come with stiffer springs.

·
on line
641 Posts
ChrisS said:
If you install the Shrockworks bumper and a winch, what has to be done to the front end suspension to counter the added weight? Specifically, what products have people used and what works best to restore the factory 'feel' and height?
Well, after my Shrock Front Bumper was installed, the ride height at the front was down 3/4 of an inch, and I did nothing.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I have the AC front springs and installed them before the bumper and winch. When I first installed the springs the front end was way too stiff and "nervous". Following the addition of +220 pounds of winch and bumper the front end was lowered by 1/4" and the frond end now feels a whole lot better - smooth and comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts