Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to add this to my "going out solo gear" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPPBHO...UTF8&colid=5B3QFENMT6BZ&coliid=I3IF1T043I9K1Y and was wondering if it's adequate? Anyone have experience with this particular unit?

Also, I'm going to pair this up with a tree saver but don't know what's the ideal width and strength to get. Any recommendations?

One last question... if I need to extend the pull line, am I suppose to use a recovery strap or a tow strap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I pulled an old Bronco II out of a yard for parts with one of those. It worked just like it should. Depends on how far you need to go. Each ratchet moved the vehicle less than an inch if I remember correctly. But then again, couple inches might be all you need to get going. It is guaranteed to be better than nothing:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that's good to know. As for the tree saver.. I should just get the same specs as my recovery straps.. 21,000 lbs?

And what about extended the pull.. use a recovery strap or tow strap?

·
Registered
822 Posts
NOT speaking from experience on the extension question, but I would guess to say tow strap. I don't think youd want any type of elasticity coming into play. I'll let the more experienced snatchers chime in with legit info haha.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Yup, for both the tree saver and for the extension, you want static gear (no stretch) ... and sufficient rating. For the extension, you want at least what the puller is rated at ... or higher than whatever you want you weakest link to be (maybe you want the extension to be weakest ... depends, I guess).

Remember that WLL (working load limit) =/= ultimate strength, and adding any complexity to the system (with blocks/pulleys or off axis pulls) can greatly effect the loads placed on individual components.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey! I just bought that (4-ton) come along a few months ago. (Pretty sure, judging by the picture.)

Used it for the first time just last weekend. The length is pretty short with the pulley in use. I needed a little more length so I hooked it up it directly (w/o pulley). I used it to pull my back end sideways to keep me away from a tree. It was able to pull the rear wheels ~4" sideways in soft packed dirt. It coulda kept going too but that was all I needed and I didn't want to risk loosing a bead on the tires.

Side note: I have a winch too, but it wouldn't have been effective for that application. I like having both.

IMHO, the "dual gear" feature is a must. I had one before that broke because it only ratcheted on one side. It bent under what I considered a mild load.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Adding to my above comment: ... folks probably remember this from basic geometry, but circumference = pi * diameter ... plus you'll want some slack to attach stuff. So a 4' diameter tree will exactly use up a 12.5' strap, just to go around ... a 16' strap will have some slack between the point where the ends come together and the trunk behind that point, but not a ton.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, for both the tree saver and for the extension, you want static gear (no stretch) ... and sufficient rating. For the extension, you want at least what the puller is rated at ... or higher than whatever you want you weakest link to be (maybe you want the extension to be weakest ... depends, I guess).

Remember that WLL (working load limit) =/= ultimate strength, and adding any complexity to the system (with blocks/pulleys or off axis pulls) can greatly effect the loads placed on individual components.
Thank you sir for that info.

Hey! I just bought that (4-ton) come along a few months ago. (Pretty sure, judging by the picture.)

Used it for the first time just last weekend. The length is pretty short with the pulley in use. I needed a little more length so I hooked it up it directly (w/o pulley). I used it to pull my back end sideways to keep me away from a tree. It was able to pull the rear wheels ~4" sideways in soft packed dirt. It coulda kept going too but that was all I needed and I didn't want to risk loosing a bead on the tires.

Side note: I have a winch too, but it wouldn't have been effective for that application. I like having both.

IMHO, the "dual gear" feature is a must. I had one before that broke because it only ratcheted on one side. It bent under what I considered a mild load.
Oooh cool... first hand experiencer! :) Good to know that it works just fine for our trucks. I just added into my wish list as we speak lol. Hopefully the wife sees it and magically buys it for me :evil3:

·
on line
4,594 Posts
I suppose in an ideal world you would want a static strap to use as a tree saver as Skibum has suggested. IMO he's offered the most intelligent advice I've heard on this forum.

In reality, IMHO it doesn't matter.
Wrap a 30' snatch strap around a tree twice and have a little extra for connecting the shackle an off you go. You may/will experience some stretch, put ultimately you'll pull yourself free. BTDT.

Keep in mind that whatever is the weakest link in your set will most likely give way first ... most shackles folks carry have a WLL of 3 3/4 tons. That is certainly less than most snatch straps, tree savers etc.

You know how to properly install a shackle?

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Don't tighten them all the way in the first place.
;)

And no, but BTDT. :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Come-a-longs are nice to have but as recovery tools they leave a lot to be desired. Their pull length at rated load is too short. Plus when you really need them, like if you're buried in mud they rarely have the power to pull you out. And if you look at the sketch provided on amazon, you may only have 5 ft of travel at rated load. Unless you have a way to take up the stretch and slop in your straps, shackles etc. you will make very little headway before having to readjust your lines. And as far as recovery straps that can stretch 25%, you ain't moving the 5' goes into stretching the strap. I own them, I use them, I'm just sharing my personal experience.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts