Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a few occasions now, when I start my 2005 X in the morning, it immediately fires up but shows the slip/VDC on lights and the MIL light on. It will also not rev (safe mode).
If I reset the lights with the code reader, everything is fine and I can drive normally for a few weeks. The code associated with the MIL is P1122 (electronic throttle control actuator malfunction). On one occasion I read the code but did not reset it. After I removed the reader, I noticed the Slip/VDC lights were out but the MIL light stayed on giving the same code. However the car was no longer in safe mode.
My question is this. It appears it was not the P1122 that forced the car into safe mode but whatever caused the Slip/VDC on lights to turn on
I do not want to spend a grand or so on the new throttle control actuator if that is not the root cause of the car going into safe mode. I would think Nissan has a subset of diagnostic code conditions that put the car into safe mode. Is P1122 one of them?
Any other ideas would be welcomed. Car is well out of warranty so I would like to understand as much as I can before going to the dealer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No throttle

I am having a similar problem with a 05 OR. I am getting P0123, P0226, and P1122. The X will start and idle, but that is it. Just a little background... This truck has been sitting for about a year and a half. I just rolled it into the barn about a month ago. I have put new plugs, coils, fluids and filters on it. Plus I have replaced all of the front suspension, and now the stupid thing won't go!!! It has 180k on it, it was my son's he abandoned it when it starting running bad. I never got a chance to plug it in a code it out before everything had set. Any help would be great.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
First,

examine your throttle body. How does the inside look? Any leaks? What about the electrical connection?

Next,

Do an IAVL (Idle Air Volume Learn) procedure and see if that fixes it (search for procedure - it's on here somewhere). Be patient with the procedure. It is all about timing and it may take your several times to get it right.

If that doesn't work I would look at these as the top causes:

- Faulty Electric Throttle Control Actuator
- Electric Throttle Control Actuator harness is open or shorted
- Electric Throttle Control Actuator circuit poor electrical connection
- Throttle body has just flat out bit the dust, time for a replacement

It may also be related to the IPDM module issue too. If so, the IPDM module will need replaced if I recall correctly. I would not think it is this, but might be a possibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have cleaned and tested all the electrical connections to the Throttle body. I also have cleaned the throttle body itself, so I am left to think it is something with the actuator itself. I am going to get a different throttle body and try that. I have not been able to do any of the "learn" procedures, because of the P0123 and P0223 codes. The throttle position sensor faults will not allow the vehicle to be put into diagnostic mode. Again thanks for the help. I love our Pathfinder, and I'm sure the X is just as good, I just need to make it run!!!

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Just a heads up, when you replace the TB you will need to do the IAVL procedure. Hope the replacement fixes it. I find the IAVL procedure is easier to verify with something like a Scangauge II or Bullydog since both show RPMs numerically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So after looking around my area for several hours, I was not able to find a Throttle Body in a salvage yard. So I decided that I would open mine up and see if I could see what the problem was. I cleaned the inside with electronic cleaner, and used some dielectric grease on the gears, and put it all back together. I put it back on the truck did the relearn, and so far so good. I have run about 300 miles and no problems. So I guess that is all for now, until something else breaks!!!:violent1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So just a quick follow up. I drove my X 800 miles to Georgia from home in Northwest Pennsylvania. It ran very good, I averaged 19 MPG, which I thought was pretty good, we had the back loaded to the roof with gear plus our three dogs. Everything worked without a hitch, so hopefully we will have the same uneventful return trip next week.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That code will trip fail safe. anything to do with app and tps will cause the ecm to enter fail sare.

I have seen that code trip from a dirty throttle body. The ecm monitors the required throttle opening to maintain target idle, when the tb gets dirty the required tb plate opening increases, the ecm monitors this. When it goes past the pre determined value it will trip a etc code. I can't remember the value at what the code will trip but I have seen this on a pathfinder and quite common on g35/altimas.

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts