Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Nissan will reuse the name in North America at some point.

Don't bet on it honoring the vehicles were driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Seems like such a lazy move to reuse a well recognized name while completely straying away from the original look and function of past generations. I'm guessing car manufactures have an incentive to reuse model names no matter what because of brand recognition. Perhaps there is a higher chance for a non-car enthusiast to buy an SUV that has a familiar name? I'd be really interested to hear from a marketing rep what the logic is there.

The new Chevy Blazer comes to mind as one of the most egregious examples.

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
80 Posts
If Nissan really wanted to sell or bring back the Xterra, this is what I would suggest Nissan should do:

1. Allow factory customization?. Done.

Eg. Want a Koyorad A2807? Done. Want Bilstein 5100's? Done. A different shock brand? Done. A different lift kit? Done.
Want Shrockwork's armour installed at the factory? Done.
Want a custom audio system? Done. What brand(s)? Done.
Want to replace door or dash tweeters speakers without taking off the door trim? Or better subs and amps? Done.
Want a backup or front cam? Both? Done.
Want a roof rack with a tent or not? Done.
Want a set of factory 33 rims and tires?Done.
Want a manual or auto trans? Done.
Want a factory snorkel? Done.
Want camping options? Want anything at all? Done. Not a problem. Done.

Long live the X. Let the factory build it exactly how you, the consumer wants..

·
Registered
929 Posts

I don't think it'll be XTERRA because that name was licensed from that sporty, fit people group. If they did bring it back, it would probably be X-Terra like overseas because it doesn't have to be licensed and is not as cool.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I understand that the market is bigger for vehicles that simply look or feel off-roady, more than having actual off-road chops. So I would be happy with a new Xterra that had pavement manners so it could appeal to the broader market, but could be easily and economically modified for off-road use. If anyone over there at Nissan is listening, here is my wish list:

The ability to do a Titan swap is one of the single best things about the 2nd gen Xterras and Frontiers. That feature should be carried over in a new version of the Xterra.

On this note, have inter-model compatibility so that aftermarket bumpers and snorkels fit at least one other vehicle in the Nissan family. I have heard that front bumpers from a certain model year of Dodge pickups could mount onto Xterras & Frontiers with only minor modifications. Doing something like that intentionally would be handy. Having access to a bigger aftermarket is an important selling feature to off-road enthusiasts. Being able to make easy use of the widest possible range of accessories keeps modification costs down.

Going even further with this, I don’t know if anyone else cares about this, but there isn’t much selection for us in rims. Using the same bolt pattern as Jeep or Toyota would give the new vehicle instant access to a very big and established aftermarket.

Design the fenders with a large, removable plastic skirt or liner. If an owner wants to upgrade to bigger tires, instead of having to cut away metal they only need to remove the OEM plastic fender liner and replace it with a thinner one made for that purpose.

Put a second rubber grommet in the firewall so it’s easier to add electronic accessories. Put a recess under the front seats so items like two way radios, amplifiers, and other such things can be easily installed there. Along with this, put additional empty spots in the fuse panel that we can use for these accessories.

Have a flat, open surface somewhere in the cab that will easily mount a switch bank for the owner who wants to add extra lights and so forth.

Put additional mounting holes or brackets in the frame so customers can fab and install their own skid plates. Threading these holes with a standard size and pitch would be nice, but if they want to keep costs down just make a hole that we can get a nut on the other side of. Mall crawlers don’t need skid plates, so leave them off the standard model to further reduce costs.

Keep the integrated roof rack. It’s nice to not have to drop an extra $500 to $1000 for a cargo rack like other vehicle owners do.

Design the suspension in anticipation of owners installing a lift. Make components accessible and easy to reach.

Limit the number of fasteners so that the vehicle can largely be serviced with pretty much three different sockets. Do this so the vehicle is not only easy to work on for the DIY owner, but professional mechanics as well. If a vehicle is easy and quick for a professional mechanic to work on, that will quickly be reflected in the on-line reviews of the vehicle. Potential customers now pay attention to these things.

The factory option of an electronic locker in the back is great. The further option of a matching locker in the front would be even better.

The recesses in the doors of the Xterra/Frontier that allow for molle panels is one of the greatest happy accidents in automotive history. Bring back that feature and make the molle panels a factory option.

Have more mounting points near the ceiling of the interior to facilitate mounting Raingler type gear lofts and internal wall nets. People who don’t go off-road won’t notice and won’t mind, but it makes a big difference to those of us who do.

Have lots of 12v cigarette lighter receptacles all over the place. At least three up front in the cab, four in the back seats, another three or four in the cargo area. Make them so they can easily be modified. I’m thinking something like a mounting surface that can easily be popped off and the 12v socket removed so it can be quickly replaced with things like USB ports or electrical connections for stuff like 12v fridges. The average soccer mom will have lots of places for the kids to connect tablets and such, and we will have lots of easy access to 12v power throughout the vehicle for our larger accessories that won’t have so much voltage drop.

Design the big navigation/stereo screen in the dash with open architecture so it can upgraded and updated with other third party systems and software. Again, the larger soccer mom market won’t care and it won’t deter them from buying the vehicle. But if off-roaders and overlanders know they can quickly upgrade that screen to something more suited to their specific purposes it would be a major selling feature. For example, the average grocery getter doesn’t need 360 exterior camera angles like the new Land Rover Defender has, so they won’t want to pay for it. But we would want something like that, and it would be attractive to know we could install such a system later on down the road if we didn’t have the cash up front.

Ok, that’s my rant for today.

I don’t know why Nissan walked away from the off-road SUV segment, but they aren’t alone in that. Mitsubishi has loads of experience in making excellent off-road vehicles, but they are also content to leave money on the table for Jeep and Bronco. Toyota has very capable designs available right now, but it’s almost like they do so half-heartedly. They don’t really take advantage of the off-road abilities of the 4 Runner for example. I’m not an industry professional, so I can only assume there are reasons for the lack of players in the North American off-road market. But if I ever had a chance to sit down in a pub with a senior management type from a major automaker, I would certainly ask the question.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts