Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it was crazy for Nissan to get rid of the xterra and have seen some photoshop pics of possible future xterras. Anyone think it will happen?
I agree with Badlander. I heard they currently sell the Xterra overseas but it’s what we know as the Pathfinder; looks like a soccer mom car. Bring back something to compete with the new Bronco…not Blazer. lol

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Xterra S RWD 6MT
50 Posts
I know we all want it! With only Wrangler and 4Runner, and now Bronco available as body-on-frame solid rear axle mid-size SUVs, it would be nice to have Nissan join and cash-in on competition. But it is not likely. If Toyota didn't bring back the FJ cruiser, it is not likely that Nissan would bring the X. Well, at least not body-on-frame SUV. They may produce a crossover that is styled like the X. Kind of like what they did with Pathfinder. The manufacturers are pressured to produce neutered SUVs with small, gas mileage-friendly engines that achieve at least 25mpg and such.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ryan is certainly right, they could screw up a free beer party.

But Maxim is right too, the Sequoia is going to solid rear axle next year, it's a growing segment. I mean, that's not midsize but the thought is there. People want a vehicle that isn't a ragdoll inside the husk of a 4x4. The new frontier is doing really well. The bronco is making people fall in love with 4 door war rigs again. People who don't like jeeps want options. I think there's hope.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I also own a 2011 Fronty so I spend time on that forum. The new Fronty isn't all that well liked by the new owners. In tradition with Nissan first year has a bunch of problems, not to mention a GDI only V6 along with a Mercedes designed automatic certainly doesn't scream reliability - so I still likely wouldn't buy one anyway, at least not for a while.

The original Xterra didn't sell all that well compared to Jeep and 4Runner when it was new, and now we have the Bronco as competition and much higher gas prices. I am thinking we won't see anything for a while.

The one outlier would be what Nissan decides to come out with a new global platform Patrol, that they could sell everywhere rather than North America specific - then maybe - much like the 4Runner and Land Cruiser Prado which are different configurations but built off the the same generic platform to sell in different parts of the world.

I personally wouldn't be offended by a new Nissan softroader that actually was capable - like the Jeep Cherokee trailhawk - but got 30mpg. I wouldn't want to see it called an Xterra however.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
In my opinion, it all depends on what Nissan's competitors do. Their entire line up is basically an exact copy of what everyone else is doing. If you do a side by side comparison of the new Frontier and the latest Tacoma, you'll laugh your ass off. It's a shameless knock off, but still a "solid" body on frame truck. Xterra's were/are a cult type of truck - those that have one absolutely love them, but the market as a whole didn't, and they didn't sell nearly enough to keep producing them. Even the 4x4 and off road TV community never mentions the Xterra, much less airs any builds of them. I keep waiting for Dirt Every Day to build one. I've watched every episode multiple times and they've never even mentioned one. It's a shame too, Xterra's and Frontiers are more robust and more reliable and durable than Tacomas and 4runners, yet Toyotas are recognized as one of the best. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that Toyotas frames rust out in about a decade, and that Toyota lost billions of $ because of it.

In my opinion, the cheap looking, rugged interior of the Xterra is great, especially for those out wheeling and hunting, but that's likely one big factor that killed them off. People these days want creature comforts, and a Cadillac ride quality - none of which the X has. Had they put a plush interior in, but kept everything else the same, I bet they would have sold way more.

Nissan has outspokenly stated that their #1 mission is to sell the most units possible, not to reinvent the market. The new Z is purely a marketing ploy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think it was crazy for Nissan to get rid of the xterra and have seen some photoshop pics of possible future xterras. Anyone think it will happen?
I believe it was 'crazy' for the USA to put so much emphasis on the CAFE regulations and then freeze excise/green/carbon taxes at the lowest levels in the rich OECD club.

Think of yourselves as consumer victims of US 'exceptionalism'. US economists -- many of whom are indeed world class IMO -- have been calling for steeper excise taxes for decades, long before climate disruption became a major issue. For health, economic and national security reasons. Within professional economic circles, the cheap energy entitlement and national energy self-sufficiency goals are generally frowned upon.

At the moment, it looks like oil prices will stay high for years to come as the Ukraine-Russia conflict appears to settle in for the long haul. The Xterra is not coming back in the current oil price and US policy environments.

Reactions: Maxim'sDIYGarage

·
Registered
2011 Pro4x
45 Posts
Wish they would...but I might still buy an old well taken care of X. I bought an older truck to get away from all the computerized automated whatevers. If I could have found a MT, would have picked it up 100%. I want to actually drive my car, because I enjoy it.

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
306 Posts
>> Will Nissan bring Back the Xterra?

No, they won't.
They might recycle the name, but it will be used for some 1,500 lb. Nissan electric beer can with a shitty battery.

·
on line
113 Posts
I agree no way it comes back in our lifetime as what it was. Given gas prices where they are at and this is a rolling box what gets let's admit terrible gas mileage no way you introduce this into your fleet. Look at Toyota's 4 runner they haven't done anything to that truck in years and they sell for high price and few units, cannot afford that gas mileage on your fleet.

Now Nissan does make nice electric cars, I have a 21' Leaf with lots of power and get car, if they were to do an electric XTerra that would be exciting, take the Arriya motor and platform, beef up suspension and done

·
Registered
81 Posts
Body on frame, 4,500-Lb trucks are in the past. They could probably get mileage up in the low 20s with a turbo V6 (or even 4), but most people want to pose, not go out in the uglies. Stylin' Baby!! My X (offroad, 6MT) is definitely a keeper, but there is no way to justify 12-14 mpg in the long haul. The Meep (baby jeep, or Renegade) sells like candy and is mostly useless. Hard to compete in a market segment where looks are the primary selling point. Nissan is hanging on, but a new, low-sales vehicle would just damage them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They may recycle the name one day in the future, but no way any nonEV hit's the CAD in the future. I hope the shift works out well. Just remember, when I was a teen, no one would have believed anyone would WANT to drive a Japanese auto.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts