Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday I got my first flat tire, I've owned my 07 S for about a month now and was thinking this would be a great excuse to upgrade to some BFG ATs :) I've been browsing this forum quite a bit and many questions have been answered, but thought I'd double check a couple of things...

If I upgraded to 265/75/16s (from the stock 265/70/16), could I still use the stock spare? Would the height difference be that noticeable on/off road.. could it be corrected by dropping the AT's psi a bit? Or am I better off getting 5 new ATs?

The other question has to do with load range. Since I don't plan on hauling anything larger than say a jetski or two in the near future, would a D rating be sufficient (vs. E) ? Seems like I remember reading someone suggested the E was too much overkill and not worth the extra cash and weight?

If these have been addressed, please point me to the correct thread, cause I was unsuccessful with my search attempts.

Thanks in advance!

eric

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XVTer said:
Furthermore, the AT has better puncture resistance and it would help you to better prevent getting a flat with your spare.
good call! I'm not really doing anything too rough right now, but the Long Trails have proven to be pretty unreliable even on gravel roads with minor potholes.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
xEDGEx said:
yesterday I got my first flat tire, I've owned my 07 S for about a month now and was thinking this would be a great excuse to upgrade to some BFG ATs :) I've been browsing this forum quite a bit and many questions have been answered, but thought I'd double check a couple of things...

If I upgraded to 265/75/16s (from the stock 265/70/16), could I still use the stock spare? Would the height difference be that noticeable on/off road.. could it be corrected by dropping the AT's psi a bit? Or am I better off getting 5 new ATs?

The other question has to do with load range. Since I don't plan on hauling anything larger than say a jetski or two in the near future, would a D rating be sufficient (vs. E) ? Seems like I remember reading someone suggested the E was too much overkill and not worth the extra cash and weight?

If these have been addressed, please point me to the correct thread, cause I was unsuccessful with my search attempts.

Thanks in advance!

eric
Using the original as a spare should not be a problem for a short time, as long as you get back to the current size as soon as you are able. The 265/75 is only 1/2" taller than the 265/70 which only equals 1/4" ride height change. Your towing will be fine with the load range "D" tires. Our Xterras are rated @ 5000 lbs with the stock equipment and the tires that are on it are passenger car rated load range "C".

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Another option:

Most tire shops will sell you a "used" tire for a greatly reduced price.

For example: I recently torn a small pea-sized portion off the side wall of one of the stock BFG Rugged Trail tires. BIG-O sold me an almost new LT 265/75/R16 tire for $88 including the remounting balancing etc.

It's now the spare and will be the same configuration of the tires I'll be getting in the near future; for a substantial savings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts