Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get it only during acceleration. It's not loud just enough to where there's a wall or high curb next to me I can hear it. The strange part is that my sentra makes the same exact sound. Always wondered and now that I'm going through the x making sure it's tip top for and up coming(huge) trip it's driving me nuts. With is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I get it only during acceleration. It's not loud just enough to where there's a wall or high curb next to me I can hear it. The strange part is that my sentra makes the same exact sound. Always wondered and now that I'm going through the x making sure it's tip top for and up coming(huge) trip it's driving me nuts. With is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Exhaust heat shield.

In neutral rev the engine and have someone get under and tell you where its coming from.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
550 Posts
definitely heat shield. fixed by tearing it off. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pinging from the engine, maybe. If not exhaust and think sound from engine, try different brand of premium fuel and see if it helps any.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Funny thing, the drivers side hs got dumped this weekend when I replaced the cat. I guess I'll take a look at the others down stream. Are you guys speaking from experience with this sound, or speculating? I find it hard to believe both my cars do it but none others. Maybe I'm just nuts. And the gas is 87oct from mobile, bp or shell. Doesn't make difference though, they're all the same. Next fill up, I'll try 89.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Funny thing, the drivers side hs got dumped this weekend when I replaced the cat. I guess I'll take a look at the others down stream. Are you guys speaking from experience with this sound, or speculating? I find it hard to believe both my cars do it but none others. Maybe I'm just nuts. And the gas is 87oct from mobile, bp or shell. Doesn't make difference though, they're all the same. Next fill up, I'll try 89.

Experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
not in my list of noises so far..

I haven't heard the crackle yet, but i'll listen out for it, maybe add it to my noise repertoire.

The list of known noises that my 2011 S 4x4 MT makes:

* a farting, rasping noise when its under load next to a high wall.

* a gasping, wheezing noise when you lay into the gas in neutral.

* a snorting, bellowing noise when you clutch-in at high rpms.

* a snapping, clunking noise when you shift gears in the cold weather.

* a slapping, clunking noise if you mismatch the revs shifting gears.

* a squeaking noise over bumps, if the spare-tire is not done up super tight.

* a metallic ringing, rattling noise whenever there's vibration (heat shield)

·
on line
3,333 Posts
x3 on the exhaust shield.
The one on mine that makes the most noise is basically right under the driver. Look under there. If one is loose you will know it quickly. Just make sure to do it when the exhaust is not hot.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earlier, i did some poking around down there. Now I know where the sound comes from when I close the door, gas tank/cabin shield. Still don't know about the heat shields they seemed pretty tight and when I banged on them the sound isn't the same. At least I had the chance to put in a bolt I was missing when I replaced the cat! If I had to explain the sound, imagine a frayed timing belt spinning inside a plastic cover. The frays hitting the plastic is the kind of sound I get. I hope that paints the same picture/sound in some ones head. Now if it WERE detonation wouldn't both be toast by now?

More disturbingly, now I'm having major driveline vibes while on the gas. While I was under the truck I checked the u joints out, but don't know exactly what signs I'm looking for. They had some seepage(grease?) on some of the sides. Is that normal? Is there another way to check them out? I'm looking at the how to, to gauge wether I'm gonna be able to tackle the job.

AND, I also started getting a very loud pop or two when starting to give it gas when in reverse. I'm thinking tranny mount?

WTH?! What a week this has been. Every time I solve something another two appear out of no where. At least I cured the chirpy hatch cover, removed some protective sticker that looked like crap and organized some tools today.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I feel like just ditching all of it and spraying the exhaust and wrapping the headers. Would be expensive though!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So just filled up on 93 and the sound during light throttle is gone. Now I know what pinging sounds like. But why are both of my cars doing this? Is it carbon and whatnot causing my engines to detonate? I think it's worth a shot to try a bottle of sea foam. Gonna use the plastic cup method.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts