Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to see what you guys think. It's something I'm somewhat considering doing, for various reasons. I didn't even look at Xterras when I bought my truck (not sure why) and now I'm wondering if an xterra would have been a better fit. I have a few reasons why I think it might be, but I don't want to say anything... I want to see what you guys say first.

I think I'll post this on the frontier forum as "why shouldn't I trade my frontier for an xterra" and see what kind of responses I get.

Just trying to weigh some options i guess.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
For one, you can probably haul longer things on the X than on the shorter bed of the Fronty.

-you can camp in the X
-keep your luggage dry and safe inside the X
-you can have a real roof basket.

and you get to feel even more a part of theNewX.org family!!

·
on line
78 Posts
B REAL said:
I haven't read anything bout an X needing a whole new read end...
Ours did. It was only two weeks old, too.

Okay, so that's not a good way to try to sell someone on something. But seriously, if you need other people to give you reasons, is it really the right choice for you? Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I make decisions based on what I want or need instead of what other people think. :flower:

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same exact rear end as the xterra off-road, so it isn't a frontier only problem.

Also, for the record, I would get a comparable xterra.. OR, 6spd (truck is auto... only option) , 4x4, probably RF... all the stuff my truck has

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i was looking at pickup trucks when just before i bought my X this past december....i was dead set on a pickup (i was even looking at a black frontier)

i went shopping one night, saw a 2nd gen. X at a chevy dealer, said what the hey, gave it a test drive, and added it to my shopping list.....next day i came to my senses and realized an SUV is much more practical then a pickup (for my needs) and I bought an X.....don't regret it one bit!

if you think an X will better suit your needs then get one!

·
on line
237 Posts
BGXterra said:
-you can camp in the X
-keep your luggage dry and safe inside the X
X2

I suppose its the same reason anyone gets an SUV over a pickup. I needed a place to keep my golf clubs, my hockey gear, my work gear, etc. All depends on what YOU need it for.

Cheers,

·
on line
638 Posts
I've got the same dilemma, except I don't have a Frontier.. yet??

The biggest thing I like about the Frontier over the Xterra is the sunroof. The Frontiers also have more options..

I do like the thought of having everything inside and locked up when out and about in an Xterra, but you are limited to the types of things you can put in it. Trust me some of the things I haul I would not want to be closed inside anything with.

You've just got to compare notes and decide which would better fit you.. as for me, I still don't know!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I have always had a PU until the X. All my PU's had covers and I used a trailer to keep the bed new for next owner. So, I have an X and I use a trailer, no difference. But, I can do all the things people mention, and the dog don't get wet riding in the back. MC

·
on line
631 Posts
i had a hard time choosing between the x and fronty also. but it came down to the xterra in the end.
-i wanted to keep everything inside the vehicle
-test drove both and the xterra performed better overall (didnt compare the nismo)
-i liked the front end of the xterra as opposed to the frontier
-the available options on the xterra
-i wanted a crew-cab frontier, but the bed would have been short and thats not something i wanted.

so in the end i got the xterra, and i never looked back

·
on line
1,716 Posts
I was considering a Frontier also until I realized that the Nismo only came in an auto. Also the bed size is smaller than my utility trailer so the main deciding factor is I can carry my golf clubs with me at all times and people (my dog) can still ride in comfort without shuffling things around.

·
on line
37 Posts
I hydroplaned my '02 fronty at 70mph, flipping into a ditch on I-26. The GF and I walked away without a scratch but the truck was totalled. I never really considered the Xterra, because I was stuck on the idea of having to have a truck. I would have bought a long bed crew cab frontier, but instead settled for an extended cab. I was still really shaken up from the wreck, and even though the new fronty was a lot safer, I started wondering if an Xterra might suit me better. Luckily, my brother was looking for a truck at the same time, but didn't have the credit to get one in his name. I ended up buying two vehicles in two months. Sold my brother the fronty, and went back to the dealer for an OR Xterra. I've been really happy with it, and now whenever I need a truck, I just trade vehicles with him. But you can fit pretty much anything in the Xterra, especially since the front passenger seat folds flat. I've only had to borrow the truck once.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Well if you get an X then you might be able to keep up on the offroad patch you told me about thats near us! I was going to get either an f 150 or an X. What it came down to was more cargo room, more passenger room, and it just plain looks alot cooler than a pickup in my opinion. Unless you have some sort of super cab pick up then i just dont think they have enough room inside. Where did you get your truck? I got mine over at Tri City Nissan in tallmadge. My sales man has become a good buddy of mine, and he would hate to have me beat him down for a price on another X, i bet i could get him to work out a sweet deal for you.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mcampana said:
Well if you get an X then you might be able to keep up on the offroad patch you told me about thats near us! I was going to get either an f 150 or an X. What it came down to was more cargo room, more passenger room, and it just plain looks alot cooler than a pickup in my opinion. Unless you have some sort of super cab pick up then i just dont think they have enough room inside. Where did you get your truck? I got mine over at Tri City Nissan in tallmadge. My sales man has become a good buddy of mine, and he would hate to have me beat him down for a price on another X, i bet i could get him to work out a sweet deal for you.
well i think the only advantage you would have would be the shorter wheelbase. there's some hills that I wouldn't be able to get over without high centering, at least until i lift it. I guess your tight turning radius would be beneficial as well.

I got my frontier at fred martin. I'd give them a chance first if I did decide to switch. I think I'd have to order one, because I couldn't find a 6-speed OR within 100 miles.

·
on line
735 Posts
I was looking for a reasonable sized vehicle after I got rid of my F250 and looked at a tacoma crewcab long bed. that didn't work out..price too high, truck too cheap and flimsy....anyways , didn't want to even test drive a frontier when I found out you couldn't get a long bed on the CC frontier.

I decided mini trucks were really compromised anyhow and the main thing I wanted was a vehicle with a good backseat...that and the day before a new X blew my jeeps doors off- I didn't realize that they had as much power as they did.
so...I went to another nissan dealer and was browsing the end of year rebated X's and the first one I found was a 6 spd offroad...bought it the next day..the test drive was as nice as the toyota truck products, but it was $23k. it is worth more than I owe (small down) so I consider it to have been a wise purchase.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Look dude, just do what i was too scared to do. Go out and buy that carolla you have been eyeing......get that 12 inch lift thats out there for it, get the solid axel swap going from a ford f 150, some super swampers a big ass wing on the back, a hitch, some ground effects and tire flys, and those stupid metal nut sack for the back end. Then, and only then, will you be content with your ride!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
mcampana said:
....and those stupid metal nut sack for the back end....
LoL!

I hate those things so much. Makes me want to tear them off and shove em up the persons exhaust pipe.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i took the loaner xterra back to the stealership today, and picked my truck back up, and I think I'm gonna stick with the truck. For the price of switching to an xterra, i could make my truck a 6-speed (not that I would, but for the cost, it could probably be done). It would end up costing me way too much in the end, for basically the same vehicle. Plus I think I like the looks of my truck better (even though the night armor xterra on the lot was sweeeet).

I could buy a lot of cool toys for my truck for the money I'd spend on an xterra. Not to mention when I get a house, having a truck around will probably prove pretty useful lol. But thanks for the opinions and the advice, it will still be in the back of my mind until I decide for sure. And I'm still sticking around here, splitting my internet time with here and clubfrontier.org. Seems like it might be a little more off-road oriented around here, and I can get some cool ideas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts