Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
At what point in mileage did you replace the sway bar bushings?
I'm just under 80k miles. I let my lady drive and she still thinks its more squirelly than her sedan so I'm curbing my enthusiasm a bit for the bushings. Might be a little placebo

I'm riding on 6.5 year old Discoverer AT3's and I think they are suspect too, but they have tons of tread and will do fine for another few months

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No idea when OP changed them but I replace those about once a year, as cheap as they are they play a big role in better ride quality.
How easy is it to replace?

·
Registered
255 Posts
No idea when OP changed them but I replace those about once a year, as cheap as they are they play a big role in better ride quality.
Pretty easy, all you need to do is take the bushing mounts off(you may need breaker bar), grease the bushing(comes with bushings) and then put them on in the same spot as the previous. Then you torque down the bolts to re-mount it.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I'd rate it one of the easiest things to replace on the X, you can replace them in your driveway in under 30 min. Just don't jack the truck up or it will pull the sway bar down when you're trying to bolt it back on, but it's just x2 19mm bolts per bracket. Definitely have a breaker bar or a cheater pipe on hand if they haven't been removed before.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Awesome - I have those tools on hand. Will have to give it a go when I find the time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Took the X to the tire shop to have my tires balanced and rotated since it was time and to have an alignment done. I would have to say it helped things out quite a bit. Seems to be more stable on the roads now especially at highway speeds and grips a little better. ill see how it feels after a week or so.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine was pretty ill handling. After I installed ARB leafs and bilstein 5100 in the rear with the bilstein 6112 upfront and had an alignment it handled way freaking better. I didnt have the required sway bar spacer yet so that was with no rear sway bar. The factory leafs were trashed, one was broken. It rides so much nice. Washboard is a joke now. I can haul ass in the bush lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Mine was pretty ill handling. After I installed ARB leafs and bilstein 5100 in the rear with the bilstein 6112 upfront and had an alignment it handled way freaking better. I didnt have the required sway bar spacer yet so that was with no rear sway bar. The factory leafs were trashed, one was broken. It rides so much nice. Washboard is a joke now. I can haul ass in the bush lol.
I will be going the Nisstec lift route within the next few months. Although it’s been 7 months now of ownership with my 2015 PRO-4X - it’s hard to say if I notice any difference in handling with the alignment and new tires put on. Possibly I’m used to it or it actually made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Is that plastidip on your grill? I've been thinking about doing the same to my X.
Dupli Color Bed Armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey RedBrawnX (nice screen name btw. I think that was one of the first ones I tried). Did you do anything with your suspension? I had a similar problem with mine. When I brought it in for balance and alignment the mechanic showed me a broken front spring. New struts along with sway bar ends and wheel balance made a huge difference. Interesting what other folks are saying about the sway bar bushings having such an impact. I've always figured they are fine until they start knocking. I still have some rear instability on sharp turns, and the typical bottoming out. Noticed today a broken spring leaf which seems all too common on the X. Already working on plans for all new rear suspension but haven't decided exactly what yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Skimandan where along I84 are you? I'm near x58 (used to be 17) in NY.
I did not know there were two I-84 freeways ;) OP is in Vancouver WA which is a bedroom community right across the Columbia River from Portland, OR where I live. I-84 runs from downtown Portland east to essentially Ogden, Utah about 750 miles. Pretty much the only other city on I-84 is Boise, ID.

Your I-84 appears to run 230 miles from Dunmore PA to Sturbidge MA. Looks like good country!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hey RedBrawnX (nice screen name btw. I think that was one of the first ones I tried). Did you do anything with your suspension? I had a similar problem with mine. When I brought it in for balance and alignment the mechanic showed me a broken front spring. New struts along with sway bar ends and wheel balance made a huge difference. Interesting what other folks are saying about the sway bar bushings having such an impact. I've always figured they are fine until they start knocking. I still have some rear instability on sharp turns, and the typical bottoming out. Noticed today a broken spring leaf which seems all too common on the X. Already working on plans for all new rear suspension but haven't decided exactly what yet.
Thanks. I had this username set up back in 2005 when I first purchased a 2nd Gen X. Then when the site crashed and all the information was lost back then, I had to set up a new account and used the same name. Anyhow, no work done yet on the suspension but will be soon in the next few months. WIll be purchasing the Nisstec lift kit. http://nissteclifts.com/3-5-Nisstec-MK84-Extended-Travel-goneMOAB-05-Xterra_p_579.html

41 - 57 of 57 Posts