Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my X gets squirrely when going 80 mph on highway. Not sure if this has something to do with the 33's I have on the truck. I feel like it is all over the place even though the alignment and balancing has been completed and on par. The same applies when driving 70-75 mph at times or if passing an 18 wheeler or when they pass me. I have seen other SUV's out on the hwy and they seem to be handling just fine, I could be wrong though. I have a Camaro as a weekend driver and it handles so much better than the X at highway speeds and I know you cannot compare. Is there a fix for this?

Also what kind of brakes do you all use on your X's? I have Brembos on my Camaro and it stops on a dime. I wish my X could do the same. Is there a brake upgrade kit I could get for the X? Not trying to turn the X into a speed monster... just want something that feels safer when out on the hwy when sometimes speeding up and slowing down in a short amount of time is necessary.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
After I put coilovers, Moog sway bar bushings and Moog sway bar end links on my X I had what I described as not planted feeling at 65-80mph. Putting on OEM sway bar bushings fixed the problem for me.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-suspension-steering/272052-new-front-sway-bar-bushings-look-odd-not-fully-compressed.html

The X is starting to feel not as planted again sometimes, I'll likely replace the sway bar end links with OEM when it gets a little warmer here and see if that helps.

For the brakes short answer is I've remained impressed with the Raybestos EHT pads, buy those. Long answer is in this thread for all the available options I'm aware of.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I put coilovers, Moog sway bar bushings and Moog sway bar end links on my X I had what I described as not planted feeling at 65-80mph. Putting on OEM sway bar bushings fixed the problem for me.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-suspension-steering/272052-new-front-sway-bar-bushings-look-odd-not-fully-compressed.html

The X is starting to feel not as planted again sometimes, I'll likely replace the sway bar end links with OEM when it gets a little warmer here and see if that helps.

For the brakes short answer is I've remained impressed with the Raybestos EHT pads, buy those. Long answer is in this thread for all the available options I'm aware of.

Thanks for the link on the brake pads. I will look into it. Are there aftermarket replacement calipers for our X's as well? As for sway bar end links etc... My PRO 4X is all stock. It has not even been lifted yet other than the 33's I put on it. Truck currently has 57k miles on it now. Would you suppose the OEM sway bar end links on it now need replacing?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Thanks for the link on the brake pads. I will look into it. Are there aftermarket replacement calipers for our X's as well? As for sway bar end links etc... My PRO 4X is all stock. It has not even been lifted yet other than the 33's I put on it. Truck currently has 57k miles on it now. Would you suppose the OEM sway bar end links on it now need replacing?
I think someone talks about a big brake kit that was $2k in the thread I linked, could be wrong. Otherwise I haven't heard of any caliper upgrades.

I'd guess at your X's age and mileage the sway bar hardware is fine, but it's worth taking a look to see if there's an obvious problem. My X's swaybar hardware was still good at 146k, I replaced it because I was pulling the swaybar to put on the coilovers. It was the aftermarket hardware that caused problems for me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think someone talks about a big brake kit that was $2k in the thread I linked, could be wrong. Otherwise I haven't heard of any caliper upgrades.

I'd guess at your X's age and mileage the sway bar hardware is fine, but it's worth taking a look to see if there's an obvious problem. My X's swaybar hardware was still good at 146k, I replaced it because I was pulling the swaybar to put on the coilovers. It was the aftermarket hardware that caused problems for me.
Thanks for that. Will def look into the the thread.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Longboardr's answers are all correct. You can add to that to check your tie rod ends while your there.

However what tires did you go from and what do you have now. If you go from a primarily highway tire like the OEM BFG tires to an aggressive AT or something, your going to feel the difference. It won't track as well.

Also, worn front and rear springs will make cross winds more of an issue. The winds are able to push the truck over slightly more which changes the center of gravity suddenly and can make the truck feel like its taking off on you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So everyone has covered the front, in the rear you may want to also look into adding a helper. There are multiple options. Sumospring(what I use), Timbrens, hellwig helper springs, airbags are all options.
I like the Sumospring, it definitely limits body roll on highway. and has made the rear end feel much more connected to the road. I drive 70-75 most of the time and it was a night and day difference after the addition at higher speeds when changing lanes and hitting bumps, also will end your bottoming out. Guessing the timbrens do generally the same thing and both have good reviews on here.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
In the last few months I've started having problems with wandering and tracking on the highway, if the road surface is remotely uneven. Sections of the right lane where trucks have cupped the road are very twitchy. I've been tossed around pretty good at times. I've found through experimenting that my tires are the culprit. They are nearing the end of their life(maybe 30% tread left) and have become insanely sensitive to tire pressure. I've got about a 2psi window where they track well. And with daily temps fluctuating a lot this time of year, its impossible to keep within that window. I basically have to choose whether it steers good at 6am or at 4pm. Every day is an adventure to and from work right now.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
There's not really a simple answer as to why it's handling that way but it's pretty common with the X honestly although that normally applies to lifted rigs. Yours being mostly stock should handle pretty good so something has to be worn. At the miles you have I lean more towards tires than anything else, what kind are you running? Also do you have spacers or offset wheels? IME highway tread patterns that look lame feel the best on the road, AT's which have bigger, softer treads feel squishy and follow road defects like crazy. It wouldn't hurt to replace the front sway bar mount bushings, I do mine annually now because they are cheap and really do make a huge difference in handling when they wear out. Everything else I would just inspect for now, outer tie rod ends, upper control arm balljoints, lower conrol arm balljoints, sway bar endlinks, that said they should be fine at 57k but worth checking. Also make sure your tires are the correct psi, do the chalk test to find out what they need to be at the number on the door is great for highway tires but not AT's I've found.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I really like what switching to poly front sway bar bushings (from PRG, including mounts) did for handling. Feels tighter and quicker, more precise, and responsive. Tracks straight except on bad, uneven roads. Ditto with poly steering rack bushings (superpro from OffroadGorilla). Steering response is quick, quiet, and firm. Makes the Xterra feel a little more like a sedan except for the ride height. And when I finally replaced the front shocks, that got rid of most of the rest of the vibes and shuddering over bumps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For what it's worth before I upgraded suspension (OME Complete Kit) my truck felt very unstable at speeds and going around corners. Even getting on and off the interstate ramps the truck felt "loose" and unstable... a lot of body roll. If I hit any kind of bump you could feel the truck roll a little or rear end wash/bottom out a bit...very unsettling. Mind you I had 130K miles on what I believe was original suspension so it was beat....leaf springs were flat as pancakes. After I upgraded to stiffer suspension it now drives and handles like a BOSS !!! I feel super confident driving the X now (with stiffer upgraded suspension) and nothing really bothers me in it... just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of your responses. For some reason TapaTalk did not notify me of new updated posts to my thread. I have new tires on the truck at the moment. 33's which are Trac Grip M/T Thunderer 285/75 R16's on all four corners. It's hard to remember if I felt any difference from two years ago when I added 33's on my 2012 PRO-4X. But I will say that the rear end does feel loose sometimes when getting off exit ramps and such when slowing down from a higher speed. I will look into everything that you have have suggested. I am not looking into spending too much money since we are currently renovating our home at the moment and a lot of $$ is going into the house we just purchased. Other than that I will start with the PSI in the tires and go from there.

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses. For some reason TapaTalk did not notify me of new updated posts to my thread. I have new tires on the truck at the moment. 33's which are Trac Grip M/T Thunderer 285/75 R16's on all four corners. It's hard to remember if I felt any difference from two years ago when I added 33's on my 2012 PRO-4X. But I will say that the rear end does feel loose sometimes when getting off exit ramps and such when slowing down from a higher speed. I will look into everything that you have have suggested. I am not looking into spending too much money since we are currently renovating our home at the moment and a lot of $$ is going into the house we just purchased. Other than that I will start with the PSI in the tires and go from there.
So YOURE the one that bought the last set! Haha. I went to order these exact rubbers in that size and they were sold out.

Any chance you've a photo with the new tires? I'm curious how they'll look on mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So YOURE the one that bought the last set! Haha. I went to order these exact rubbers in that size and they were sold out.

Any chance you've a photo with the new tires? I'm curious how they'll look on mine.

I actually purchased the tires back in Jan earlier this year and received them on Jan 25th. I know they had several more in stock. I also bumped into another X in a parking lot at Harbor Freight with the same tires in which I took a pic.
IMG_9486.jpg IMG_9488.jpg IMG_9492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
Yep, totes ordering them once they get back in stock. I've heard nothing but really good reviews for them being as low price as they are. Looks great on the X, too.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I've got something very similar going on except mine even happens at low speeds. Feels like the X catches every groove in the road and uneven road surface. It feels like someone is yanking the steering wheel back and forth. I replaced my sway bar bushings last night. I knew my tires were around 30% tread left. When I got under it I noticed the inside of the front tires were pretty well worn. Sounds like new tires and an alignment will probably get it feeling right again.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I've got something very similar going on except mine even happens at low speeds. Feels like the X catches every groove in the road and uneven road surface. It feels like someone is yanking the steering wheel back and forth. I replaced my sway bar bushings last night. I knew my tires were around 30% tread left. When I got under it I noticed the inside of the front tires were pretty well worn. Sounds like new tires and an alignment will probably get it feeling right again.
Sound alot like when my alignment got messed up and both front tires were slightly toe'd out. Definitely get that fixed before putting new tires on it so they don't get messed up too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will check into the alignment as well. The truck drives pretty straight though when letting go of the steering wheel. It's worth a look. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts