Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Couldnt tell you exactly but I suspect to pray on the unknowing customers that just bring thier vehicles in to service and just do whatever the dealership says they need.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Here is the link, I found it: Here

I assume the X and titan ones are built the same way? As far as replacing X CVs, I think the UCA hits the coil bucket before either the OEM or Cardone ones bind up.
I have PRG Titan UCAs and DirtKing LCAs and I disagree and had to have limit straps installed(while I ran CARDONEs).
now with OEMs I have the limit straps adjusted to just before coil-bucket contact.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
I think the OP is talking specifically about Xterra CVs. My comment was I think aftermarket CV's don't have a binding issue because the UCA hits the coilbucket first.
I disagree with you as i said before.

aftermarket CVs Bind

·
on line
10,980 Posts
You guys are talking at cross purposes ... in the Titan width, I agree, I have heard of several cases where folks had binding with aftermarket Titan halfshafts.

I have not heard the same about aftermarket Xterra halfshafts ... if you have, Chris, that's good info to publicize. Assuming that aftermarket (OEM equivalent) halfshafts will perform exactly the same as Nissan manufactured units, at the extents of their travel is probably not sound ... but as I said, I have not heard of folks having binding issues with aftermarket Xterra halfshafts installed, even on modified Xterra-width suspensions.

I suspect that the Xterra-width suspension geometry is such that the CV is not as articulated as it is in the Titan-width geometry; but I have not measured to verify - nor have I seen measurements from anyone else. Personally, I would not have a problem running aftermarket CVs (in either width) with OEM equivalent suspension arms. With any aftermarket suspension, one bit of good due-dilligence is to check the full travel and look for what's going to be your travel-stop at either end ... if it's the CV, then one should probably do something to ensure that it's not.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
We are missing the Biggest point, for $60.00 you are buying REMANUFACTURED, while almost as good as new, they are not New.
The Nissan ones are Brand New never been installed.

just saying......

·
on line
14,613 Posts
You guys are talking at cross purposes ... in the Titan width, I agree, I have heard of several cases where folks had binding with aftermarket Titan halfshafts.

I have not heard the same about aftermarket Xterra halfshafts ... if you have, Chris, that's good info to publicize. Assuming that aftermarket (OEM equivalent) halfshafts will perform exactly the same as Nissan manufactured units, at the extents of their travel is probably not sound ... but as I said, I have not heard of folks having binding issues with aftermarket Xterra halfshafts installed, even on modified Xterra-width suspensions.

I suspect that the Xterra-width suspension geometry is such that the CV is not as articulated as it is in the Titan-width geometry; but I have not measured to verify - nor have I seen measurements from anyone else. Personally, I would not have a problem running aftermarket CVs (in either width) with OEM equivalent suspension arms. With any aftermarket suspension, one bit of good due-dilligence is to check the full travel and look for what's going to be your travel-stop at either end ... if it's the CV, then one should probably do something to ensure that it's not.
My mistake .

i am talking about Titan axles not Xterra axles I apologize...

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I have had to replace both my OEM CV axles, once for binding/damage and 3 times for inner boot tear. I do not know what it is but the boots on OEM suck! The OEM boot kits cost as much as an aftermarket axle too!

I have been running duralast CV axles for years now and they have done great! For the price and the boot life I would not go OEM.

·
on line
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have had to replace both my OEM CV axles, once for binding/damage and 3 times for inner boot tear. I do not know what it is but the boots on OEM suck! The OEM boot kits cost as much as an aftermarket axle too!

I have been running duralast CV axles for years now and they have done great! For the price and the boot life I would not go OEM.
The duralast appear to have the limited lifetime warranty on those as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts