Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at the end of the first day our crazy trail guide took us up a "new trail." I think that means he just decided to have us all follow him straight into the woods and see what happens. Anyways. WEnd of the first day this is all i could get for ya. We drove through the woods, up a water fall type obsticle, tight as a snare drum! The Xterras made it up with no problem. Various stages of modification. From totaly stock, to a lift, to my rig.

Who is still on the bottom?

·
on line
564 Posts
Dude...the first lesson in wheel'n is...get LOTS 'O pics and vids!

Good to hear you had fun!

Rob

·
on line
975 Posts
We recently did some wheelin out side of Big Bear Lake, ca. One of our buddies has an FJ, every time we came to a major obsticle he would need to lock-up, the X would crawl right up it. I'll try to start a tread with some good pics.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Delaware_X said:
Are they not very capable off road?
I'd be willing to argue that a fully loaded FJ and a fully loaded X, both with locking rears, would end with the FJ as the winner, solely based on off-road ability.

People just like to bash them, for whatever reason...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
"Winner" is maybe a bit strong. I think they'd be close. The FJ has better travel/flex in the rear; that's objectively true. They've got rear coils, and a pretty innovative rear axle.

But all the comparisons I've read say the X corners and generally handles better than the FJ. So if by off-road you mean some amount of cornering on sandy/dirt tracks and the like, I think the X actually would outperform the FJ.

Overall, I agree with Syndicate: bashing the FJ like it sucks may be fun for competitive rivalry, but it really isn't true.

·
on line
190 Posts
Got ya.

I saw one yesterday that looked like it had at least 35's on it. Had temp tags and a lot of stuff that looked like it could have been dealer installed options.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
When it comes to dealer add-ons, the FJ kicks our butts. They sell some pretty trail-ready rigs (although I'm not sure any have 35s off the showroom floor). And the aftermarket is obviously way ahead for the FJ.

But the silver lining for us is that a built X is much more unusual and unique. There's a small-scale, "craft" element to Shrockworks stuff, and guys who mix and match Radflos with Bils in the rear, and Deavers. FJs have all the kits; but we have something special. No ARB bumper, but maybe something better or at least more interesting.

And as far as out-of-the-box built rigs, personally I'd rather have Shrock sliders than Toyota factory sliders (I've looked at the ones Toyota sells, and they ain't Shrock quality by a long shot). And I'd rather fit the shocks I want, and mix and match to suit my needs, rather than buy a generic dealer lift package--and pay through the nose for it.

But if you want a front locker, clutch, gears, roofrack etc., you can be a bit jealous of the FJ people, if you're being honest. All their stuff is ready, and we're still waiting.

·
on line
60 Posts
Poor FJ! Did he eventually make it? :binky:

I looked at the FJ when I was in the market, let me just say it wasn't for me. To say the least the interior was :puke:

·
on line
190 Posts
d-rap said:
When it comes to dealer add-ons, the FJ kicks our butts. They sell some pretty trail-ready rigs (although I'm not sure any have 35s off the showroom floor). And the aftermarket is obviously way ahead for the FJ.

But the silver lining for us is that a built X is much more unusual and unique. There's a small-scale, "craft" element to Shrockworks stuff, and guys who mix and match Radflos with Bils in the rear, and Deavers. FJs have all the kits; but we have something special. No ARB bumper, but maybe something better or at least more interesting.

And as far as out-of-the-box built rigs, personally I'd rather have Shrock sliders than Toyota factory sliders (I've looked at the ones Toyota sells, and they ain't Shrock quality by a long shot). And I'd rather fit the shocks I want, and mix and match to suit my needs, rather than buy a generic dealer lift package--and pay through the nose for it.

But if you want a front locker, clutch, gears, roofrack etc., you can be a bit jealous of the FJ people, if you're being honest. All their stuff is ready, and we're still waiting.
I have to agree with you. I went through a similar thing with my Mustang when I got it. The modular motors were still "new" and the aftermarket just wasn't there like it is for the 5.0's. It was one place had this, one place had that. Now, 8 years later there's a crap load of stuff for it.

As far as the unique part, I agree 100% with that. I want my X to look different then all the others around where I live. I've seen one lifted x with calmini sliders and it was a first gen.

And besides, just think of the looks from the soccer mom's driving suvs when I drop my daughter off at school :la:

·
on line
975 Posts
syndicate said:
Delaware_X said:
Are they not very capable off road?
I'd be willing to argue that a fully loaded FJ and a fully loaded X, both with locking rears, would end with the FJ as the winner, solely based on off-road ability.

People just like to bash them, for whatever reason...
I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but, I have MT's and he has AT's. Also I was aired down and for some reason he wasn't. I don't know, maybe pushing the button was muscle memory. He seemed unhappy that he kept pushing it. Anyways it was a fun weekend, except for the nearly 20 degree night time temp. :geek:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Ability is huge. But airing down can sometimes be decisive. I've been lazy about airing down and failed to negotiate an obstacle, only to nail it once I took the time to air down significantly. I've noticed this on steep, low-traction ascents and in sand.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill take that as a compliment muzikman.

And i never bashed the fj, not that anyone said i did. Im sure next time i go our with jbc ill be the only X there among the fj's. I just like stirring the pot a little because on the fj forum them dudes are fanatics about the fj being the end all be all. I just like when we had to pull em out of the mud, or when i got up things with ease and didnt need a locker and they did. I do envy their aftermarket though! Ours is very limited and not very cheap!

It is cool to be stopped all the time now and asked what kind of trucki have since my "shrocking."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts