Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa is bringing me heated seats for my '12 X Pro4x (cloth seats)..

Who installs these seats? Dealer, auto upholstery shop, auto accessory store, or ????? I want them to be wired in through the key switch and to look like a professional did it..

Any recommendations or thoughts I should keep in mind

Estimated costs?

Brian

·
on line
828 Posts
An auto upholstery shop should be able to do it. I used to work for an auto accessory shop that installed katzkin leather seats and we also did heaters. So either on really. Dealer will just sublet it and mark it up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dealer did mine. $500 parts and labor. I'm sure I could have found cheaper, but it was the easiest option and now under fully warranty.

·
on line
2,264 Posts
Skip the dealer unless you have a really good inside deal with them.
The upholstery shop will do the best at taking the seats apart and getting them back together looking perfect but they generally don't know jack about wiring.
An accessory shop can generally wire pretty good but won't get the seats back together as well as an upholstery shop would.

Really it comes down to how good the shop and the people working in it are. The wrong shop with good people will do better then a good shop with crappy workers. So there is no solid answer. My recommendation would be to have the heaters installed by an upholstery shop then have a good wiring guy wire it up. Actually I would do it myself and not pay anyone to do it, but it sounds like you are going to farm the work out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no one in the closest town to me will do the entire job.. Called 3 places they will install the heaters in the seat BUT wont touch the wiring..

The dealer wont do it unless its a new car install - but gave me the name of the place..

they do a lot of dealer installs and I have an appt for 12/6 to have them put in.. $499

Brian

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I have a heated seat kit sitting in a box. I was going to install it with leather. I bought a leather kit and they sent an incomplete kit that was the wrong color anyways. Have not found another that is affordable. I may just go ahead and put the heated seats in under the cloth.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wifes Forester has heated seats and they are so great in the winter.. I will be so happy to have them in my Xterra now..

Speaking of things the Forester has that the Xterra should have (as a package or options)

a) heated seats
b) heated outside mirrors
c) heated lower windshield under the wipers
d) plastic lower body trim to protect from rock chips
e) outside thermometer
f) headlights that turn on/off with the key switch

brian

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Have you ever thought of just getting Pathfinder seats as they came with the "winter package" or whatever. ryandavenport did it but he doesn't frequent this site any more.
I think ryandavenport was banned since I haven't seen him post in a long time and he had a hissy fit with the mods.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Speaking of things the Forester has that the Xterra should have (as a package or options)

a) heated seats
b) heated outside mirrors
c) heated lower windshield under the wipers
d) plastic lower body trim to protect from rock chips
e) outside thermometer
f) headlights that turn on/off with the key switch
I completely agree. Fortunately, with considerable effort overt the past year I've now fixed every one of those (with the exception of c).

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Drive the 240 miles up here and I'll do it for $350. haha

It's a great mod, no matter how it gets installed. Enjoy!

·
on line
3,673 Posts
I think ryandavenport was banned since I haven't seen him post in a long time and he had a hissy fit with the mods.
I find it amazing how many times I have to tell you that I am not banned and you still come back with this response every single time. I simply choose to not post very much any more. I did get in an argument with a single mod that I do happen to still disagree with, but thats neither here nor there at this point. It's water under the bridge at this point. However, I am sure the next time that someone mentions me that you will simply say that I was banned once more.

As for information regarding this thread, I did do the heated leather seats from a Pathfinder. I still do not have my heat hooked up but I will be calling OTRATTW in the next few days to get my switches in so that I can wire my seats so that my ass is no longer cold.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
It's aggravating that we are hitting freezing temps and my heated seat kits are still in the box! If I am going to strip the fabric off the seats. I'd rather be replacing it with leather!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I got a graphite Katzkin leather interior with heated seats. Very nice on a day like today =)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE - got my seat heaters installed yesterday.. Sadly it was 73* when i picked it up, but i did try them while having the window rolled down..

I paid $499 (pre-tax) and it includes a 3 yr/36k mile warranty..

Can't wait to try them out

NissanX - love those leather seats!!

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts