Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
463 Posts
yep ! They mount to the screws that hold your taillights in.
I've had mine for about a year.
JimB

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Mark, they're purely aesthetic. Like a brushguard, they offer no real protection.. In fact, after mashing some (on another X) into treelimbs, or even rocks, they pushed on the lenses enough to crack and damage them (the lenses). Soo, while they may, or may not look cool on a Gen2, (beauty's in the eye...), IMO they're a waste of $$. :sad3:

(I know, Gen2 site.. I miss that one ^^^ ..)
For those following along, the tires are Firestone Desti MTs (33), blackside out. :happy7:

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I bought mine off of ebay and they have 3 mounting point. the 2 factory holes that hold your brake light housing in and then you drill a third for the side mount. Int he first photo you can see the two mounting points being used by the factory hole.

In this photo indicated by the big blue arrow, you see where the third hole has the be drilled in order to create the third mounting point.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Mmmm I wonder how strong the ebay ones are?

·
on line
1,208 Posts
^^ Well I bought mine off of ebay and can personaly tell you, they are pretty heavy duty. They feel quality made, and have good weld points on them. I will take some closer pics of them and post it up in about 10 miniutes for all to see.

EDIT: Ok here are the pics. Like I said I am pretty happy with these, they do not feel chincy at all. (click on the pic in order to see the full size photo)
a view of the two main mounting points.

a view of the third mounting point, you have to drill the hole into the X to mount that plate then screw the guard onto the plate.

mounting point that attaches one of the main brackets to the guard

Close up of the crossbar mounting to the main part of the guard

a view from the side to show how far away from the tail light it sits.

Im pretty sure the person I got them from is "gogoparts" on ebay. and I paid about $100 for the guards and shipping.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Hey thanks Brutus, those pics help alot. They look pretty strong and the welds seem to be pretty decent. Maybe Ill have to buy some. Damn this truck and all of its mods :)

·
on line
3,262 Posts
You dont have to drill another hole for the third mounting point! You can just sandwich it in like I did. I did a how to on them a while back and I believe that they posted it in the sticky list of how-to's. Oh and I also added some pads inbetween the little clip and the paint so it wouldnt get all scratched up. I dont have any pics of the pads but I will post some up later today if you want. And I lineXed them.

here it is:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2388

1 - 13 of 13 Posts