Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running 295/75/16's, and was going through some back country to no mile markers to some geode hunting. We had specfic instructions, and the parking was over a hill off the site of the road.

It said at exactly 8 miles you will see need to go off the road to see an opening. Well since I am on 295's 8.0 on my speedo turned out to be closer to 8.5-8.7 miles, and we had to backtrack and search.

Who all has adjusted their speedometer after getting larger tires?

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
The Xterra speedometer/odometer cannot be adjusted. Your options are to use a tuner/monitor such as a Bullydog or Scangauge, or a gps unit, or measure your rig's odometer error with gps or highway mile markers and then make the necessary calculations on the fly. Another alternative is to purchase and install an aftermarket electronic re-calibration device (Hypertech?), which works but is somewhat pricey and more than a simple "adjustment."

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I was assuming we were able to adjust the speedometer.

And that is true that milage will always be off. It just got me thinking about how many miles I really am getting per tank, and if it impacts my mpg computer (I have an se with the trip computer).

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
The Xterra speedometer/odometer cannot be adjusted. Your options are to use a tuner/monitor such as a Bullydog or Scangauge, or a gps unit, or measure your rig's odometer error with gps or highway mile markers and then make the necessary calculations on the fly.

Incorrect. Hypertech makes a in-line calibrator that has been used by someone here before IIRC
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Dii!ck's SpedoTach on 7th St near Indian School can help you out. The day after I put the 35s on, I got pulled over on the 51 by DPS. The officer was super cool, and he only gave me a warning. He told me about Dii!k's.
I went there and talked to them about recalibration. They sell a device you can install, but you have to pull the dash. Instead, I just had them put my vehicle up on their dyno, and they told me how far my speedometer was off at various speeds. I adjusted my Scangauge II for this variance (I think it was 13%, IIRC), and all is good.

EDIT, I think they wanted $300 installed for the inline device that corrects the spedo/odo.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Who Adjusted their Speedometer after Getting Larger Tires

The speedo is calibrated based on 265/75r16 tire (31.6" dia). If you are running 33's (32.8" dia) you will be ~4% faster than the speedo (32.8/31.6=1.038 or 3.8% taller). That's the increase in speed (3.8% faster than speedo says). So you will be going 1 extra mph for every 25 mph the speedo says (says 25 actual 26, says 50 actual 52, says 75 actual 78 etc.). This is the same for the odometer, you will go 3.8% farther than it says you did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I've got the Hypertech inline unit in my truck, and there's a few of us around ... it's pretty straight forwards (if involved) to install. Not a whole lot to say about it, other than that it works as advertised ... you tell it the multiplier you want, and it puts that multiplier on the signal going to the instrument cluster, thereby adjusting the speedo and odo/trip meters. I'd assume it works for the calculated functions of the SE's trip computer, as well, but can't verify as that's not enabled on my '08 Offroad model.

I've talked about it a bit on the site, before, so some searching will probably dig up those conversations ... or I'm happy to answer questions here, as well. When I purchased (a while ago, now) it was from Summit for right around $200, shipped. Installation took me a solid afternoon/evening, by the time I got the dash apart and back together ... I'm not sure it would be worth paying someone to do that, for everyone (it wasn't at the time, for me ... now may be a different story).

I believe the Nissan Consult system can be used to the same effect, or at least that's the rumor I've read in a few places ... haven't had that verified by anyone, though, and they're spendier still (of order a couple grand, if memory serves). If that was a preferred route, and verified to work, I'd imagine folks would see a dealer (or other repair shop who already owned a Consult system) to have the calibration done ... that would eliminate the purchase price of the system. But, again, I'm not sure if that's a viable function ...

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I love mine, and worth it, just for pure sake, cause I wanted it.

·
on line
1,446 Posts
I did a "manual" adjustment. I pulled the cluster to remove the clear plastic cover. I then removed the speedo needle. Using a GPS I hit a local highway and hit the posted limit according to the GPS. A passenger then affixed the needle back onto the post to match that position.

I did this because my wife drives the X and cannot remember that with 33's, 110km/hr is actually 115-116. She likes to drive 120 so that is about 127-128 which is a ticket every time ESPECIALLY when your X stands out in a crowd.

This is a visual adjustment only and has no impact on any other "recordings" (MPG (L/100km), ODO, Trip, etc)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I'd guess that it is probably only accurate at that speed then and probably not that accurate. Those needles are incredibly sensitive.

This isn't accurate since it is a percentage difference. The faster you go, the further off it is.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I did this because my wife drives the X and cannot remember that with 33's, 110km/hr is actually 115-116. She likes to drive 120 so that is about 127-128 which is a ticket every time ESPECIALLY when your X stands out in a crowd.

This is a visual adjustment only and has no impact on any other "recordings" (MPG (L/100km), ODO, Trip, etc)
Should have used little post-it notes with arrows for the correct speeds, lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts