1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I like them out

·
on line
551 Posts
I used to like them out, but have spent too much time cleaning them.
Now it's in and clean up is a lot quicker.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, if it is a BFG factory tire, read the sidewall, White letters out only.
We imagine the sidewall is stronger on that side and that is why. If that is so, the stability of the vehicle will suffer with the weaker wall outward. I noticed this when I had mine on last time, took em off after a month.
I had already listened to popular vote, cost is like $60 to $80 to tear down, re mount and balance, 4th time these tires been moved. Now, I just wonder why BFG would go through the trouble to have the exta cost of having this lettering added to the mold? Someone call and ask. "Following the crown at Ribbon Creek was deadly... sometimes you just have to question things, Think out of the box." MC

·
on line
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having a mental breakdown over this, I recently got new rubber and had them mount them white letters in, even though I have always been a white-out kind of guy. It is growing on me though. the texture on the black wall makes the tire look more aggressive. I had the hercules terra track AT's put on, 265/75's

·
on line
48 Posts
Depends on the tire, but I think the BFG MTs look better letters out :drunken:

·
on line
294 Posts
Letter out. Always.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I'm torn now on the whole debate. I think it's got to match your vehicle. With as much black as I'm adding, I've gotta vote letters in though, at least for me.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
usmc xterra said:
We imagine the sidewall is stronger on that side and that is why.

I would think the sidewalls would be the same strength on both sides of the tire and it would be more of a directional tread pattern making the orientation of the tire important...

·
on line
295 Posts
I have mine out and regret it. they are all torn up and discolored from wheeling and the chains from the winter really ripped 'em up. Too cheap though to pay for remounting.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Both look good. These days, at least in CA, I've noticed most trucks with all black, but I still think the classic white out looks cool. And if the letters get a bit raggedy, that just proves you really use the truck.

And has anyone heard from tire people that once you've mounted them one way and put some miles on them that they develop a "memory" and should be kept mounted the same way for the life of the tire?

·
on line
641 Posts
usmc xterra said:
BG Goodrich requires tires to be mounted with the white letters out when thay are asymmetrical.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Offroad said:
usmc xterra said:
BG Goodrich requires tires to be mounted with the white letters out when thay are asymmetrical.
Personally i think the letters out give the tires some character, specially on a yellow X. Maybe not so much in black

1 - 20 of 55 Posts