Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 weeks or so i have been experiencing a whining sound while driving. It almost sounds like i am out of gear going down the road. The truck is fine otherwise no different then normal just an annoying sound. It seems to only happen withing the first 10 mins of driving. Any ideas??

·
on line
117 Posts
I've got that same sound, but mine doesn't go away and only happens when the gas is applied. It sounds like it is comming from the rear. I thought it was just the exhaust.

Blown diff?!?!?!?! Can you still drive the truck with a blown diff???

Now I'm worried!! :dontknow:

·
on line
230 Posts
Seems many people have notice there diff whining before total failure, taken it in, and had the shop find its going out. I assume it is something like you have only stripped off one spider gear cog so far, just enough to clunk or whine, but not enough to grind. Or maybe they have spun some and worn the cogs down a bit.

Mine whined a bit also at first,(after a loud pop) but quickly went into total failure mode because I was off-road at the time and needed 4x4 in a few spots.

If its whining, get it in.

·
on line
750 Posts
On the brighter side, it could just be a belt. If it's old..or brand new..they tend to whine when cold.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
BioTerra said:
On the brighter side, it could just be a belt. If it's old..or brand new..they tend to whine when cold.
Yeah, I've been having whining belt issues for a while now and it's def getting warmer here (84 yesterday!). I had my belts looked at and the dealership said they were fine. Is there any way to 'lube' them to get rid of this whine?

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off to the dealership i go apparently. Maybe it doesn't go away after 10 mins, maybe thats when i just hit the highway and then there's too much other noise for me to hear it. But yea its when the gas is applied.

·
on line
750 Posts
There's no "lube" for belts but there is a belt dressing that can be applied prior to installing the belt that helps it grip the pulleys better.

·
on line
108 Posts
I get a whine at 65 to 70 mph if i speed up or down it goes away but between 65 to 70 I hear it. I just had a thought I will have to ask my wife if it is still can be heard because this last Monday I had the drive belt replaced. But if I remember right it sound more like it was coming from the rear.
I will post back

·
on line
750 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Would this stuff work to throw on our fan belts? It's not a serpentine belt, right?
What

What little I have looked at the belt(s) they do appear to be serpentine...Jason will probably know better though.

·
on line
652 Posts
a friend of mine had a strange whinning noise and couldnt find it after a trip to the dealer it was a fram oil filter they swapped it out and no more noise To me it sounded like a power steering pump whine and it would go away if the engine would almost stall then re appear at 2200 rpms

·
on line
3,754 Posts
TXterra37 said:
BioTerra said:
Yeah, I've been having whining belt issues for a while now and it's def getting warmer here (84 yesterday!). I had my belts looked at and the dealership said they were fine. Is there any way to 'lube' them to get rid of this whine?
a buddy of mine took a regular bar of soap and held it on the belt of his truck and the noise was gone. just a thought.

·
on line
117 Posts
Got my truck back form the dealership today....

Complete rear diff replacement, the parts are on order and the work should be done next week.

If you have a whining sound, DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH IT, take it in. The service techs were tight lipped about how common this is, but they didn't hesitate to put the parts on order.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my whining sound sounds like it's coming from the front and only when accelerating...it could be from the back....but it is only during acceleration. Is that the time the diff would scream?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts