Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some diagnosing help.

2006 Xterra - 81K miles on it

when I start it up, it has a whining noise to it... it goes away when I accelerate... I thought it could be the typical whiny Nissan timing chain, so I had that replaced... but it's still there.... I've listened with a stethoscope and cannot pinpoint the noise.

next on the replace list is going to be the Serpentine belt, Idler Pulley and Serp Belt Tensioner... if this doesnt fix it I'm going to go crazy. haha I will try to take a video of it tomorrow and post it....

but does anyone have any idea what else it could be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently started noticing the same, but to me it sounds like it's coming from the intake area. The only thing I can think of is that it's really cold out, +/- 25-32* when I start it up for work. So I thought maybe that the cold air is causing the noise. It gets quieter as the engine warms, and doesn't make the noise when I start the engine warm. Hope this helps spark an idea to fix it. I'm still trying to diagnose mine though. So if I think of anything else I can let you know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently started noticing the same, but to me it sounds like it's coming from the intake area. The only thing I can think of is that it's really cold out, +/- 25-32* when I start it up for work. So I thought maybe that the cold air is causing the noise. It gets quieter as the engine warms, and doesn't make the noise when I start the engine warm. Hope this helps spark an idea to fix it. I'm still trying to diagnose mine though. So if I think of anything else I can let you know.
good info!

I'm at a loss on this one... i guess this saturday I'm going to start digging until i find the issue

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Take the belt off and start it. That will tell you if it the belt or any of the belt driven accessories.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
You can run it for a bit. The only thing that would effect the running would be the alternator not turning. You should only have to run it for a few seconds to see whether the noise is there or not.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
^ I second this.. use a 3/16" drive ratchet and turn counter clockwise to loosen the belt tensioner. Turn on your truck on and listen for the whine and then shut it off after a few moments - enough to decide if it's internal or external. Putting the belt back is pretty easy - grooved edges go on the grooved pulleys and the flat side goes on the smooth pulleys

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the oil / filter was taken care of when I got the timing chain done....

I'm gonna get to it on Saturday and see if I can pinpoint it.... take off the serp belt and see if it's that.... grrrr

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been extremely busy with school finals and week so now that it's over I'm going to check everything. Take out the intake and check for blockages, check the timing belt, check the oil filter seals, and even check the alternator for failure. We'll see what I come up with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts