Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 2007 X (4 wheel drive) and on my ride home I notice a very loud whining noise coming from the rear when I let off the throttle. Starts above 40mph. Truck also clunks when shifting from drive to reverse. Differential?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My local guy who I trust said the rear diff is shot. He said because you will never know what you are going to find when you open it up that it would be best to find a used rear end from a local junk yard since they are pretty cheap.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
911 Posts
Why just guess and throw money away blindly?
Take 15 minutes and pull the rear cover and see if you see anything obvious. Turn the wheels off the ground and see if the axle bearings make any noise.
It really frustrates me that nobody wants to do any simple diagnostics anymore, all they want to do is install new parts and hope it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
My local guy who I trust said the rear diff is shot. He said because you will never know what you are going to find when you open it up that it would be best to find a used diff from a local junk yard since they are pretty cheap.

What would you guys do? What about replacing it with an electronic locking rear diff?
Take 15 minutes and pull the rear cover and see if you see anything obvious. Turn the wheels off the ground and see if the axle bearings make any noise.
If you trust your mechanic... tell him to get off his butt and pop the diff cover and see what is really going on. He will either be right or he will be wrong. If he is right, then he is worthy of your trust. If he is wrong.... time to find a trustworthy mechanic.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The whine sounds like the pinion bearing. I had a 69 Olds 442 that sounded exactly like that ... I drove it for over 20K miles with that whine-only-when-you-let-off-the-gas noise before I finally had the bearing replaced. Other than that the rear end was fine. No clunk from D to R though. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took it to another shop this morning. (Mechanic with really good reviews) he wants $1,300 to install a used (80k miles) rear end. I asked him to crack the pumpkin open and he wanted 2hrs labor to do that because he said it could be a lot more than what’s inside the diff. This is fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts