Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a winch, which winch do you own? (make and model)

Would you buy it again? What do you like and or dislike about about it? (line speed, duty cycle, etc)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have two Warn XD9000i's (on the on the X and one on the Jeep).

I have not had a problem with either of them. I got a great deal on the winch for the X and the winch came on the Jeep when I bought it.

Now, if I had to do it over again, I would get the M8274-50 for the Jeep. It's a 8000lb winch with amazing line speed and since its spur gear drivien, you can power out with no problems.

For the X, if money was no object (or if I hadn't gotten the killer deal on the XD9000) I would get the 9.5ti.

·
on line
238 Posts
Also for those of you that do have a winch.....

To engage/disengage the clutch do you have to reach up through the hole in the bottom of the bumper?

And, is there a relocating cable extention that you could mount in one of the two holes that the Shrock bumper has on the top side? It seems a bit of a pain to reach under to plug in the control cable and as well to use the clutch.

The company I work for is making RF controllers for different applications and they are going to set me up with a wireless remote if/when I ever get a winch. Unfortunately they don't deal with consumers, just companies.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
All winches that I know of you would have to reach into the hole for the clutch. The only way around that would be to get an external mount winch bumper (ie Calmini).

Warn does make an extension cable for the remote and Shock puts the two holes on top to mount it. After reaching up to plug in the remote, I decided it wasn't worth the money to buy the extension. You could also buy a remote solenoid winch and put the solenoid box in an easily accessible location.

There are a few winch companies who have wireless remotes. Although it sounds like a great idea, it kind of scares me. I want full control over what the winch is doing. Even a slight delay could cause problems.

·
on line
238 Posts
Putting the remote solenoid on the top doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. Warn probably charges a fair penny for their extensions as well.

I'll check into the delay for the remote. From what I've seen here at work with testing the delay, if there is one, is extremely small (i.e. milliseconds). The one they would set me up with would plug in where the regular remote plugs in. Just in case of a problem I wanted to be able to switch back to the cabled remote. To bad they won't spring for a winch for the testing though :crybaby: But hey, the remote would be free.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What is the fail safe on the remote? What happens if the batteries die in the transmitter or receiver? What happens if the transmitter gets too far away? What frequency would it run on? Could it receive interference from an outside source?

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Syndicate, thanks for the link, good info.

It looks like it may be the Mile Marker SE9500. Good line speed, series wound motor, 9500#, good price. Looks good. Close to the same specs that winches twice the price have.

·
on line
238 Posts
All good questions Muzikman.

They are using and testing the remote at this time on search lights for boats and winches for ATV's. I would assume (bad thing) that they thought of these failure modes. But, I don't really know for sure.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, I looked long and hard and bought a MM PE8K from winch depot for good price and leaned way towards the 2 year warranty. Sweet, But, I just hindered MCampana last night installing his, and I like it more than mine, However, there is no power shut off on it like the MM, so you know that trick, Have to add a Heavy Duty power switch under hood for it and I'd say that is the way to go! Ramsey!

Here it is in a Shrockworks recovery bumper as it was ready to be mounted. Extra trim required. (no big deal)

close up as installed,

·
on line
641 Posts
In late 1991 I bought a new 1992 Nissan Pathfinder. I wanted to add a winch, so I added a rear tow hitch, and had a front tow hitch custom built. I then bought a Warn M8000 winch, along with a Warn Multi-Mount kit. After a bit of wiring, I had Warn quick-connects at both the front and rear, so I could use the winch, or jumper cables, from either end of my Pathfinder.

Over the years, I didn't need to use the winch very often. When I bought my Xterra, I just re-used my 1992 Warn M8000 winch in my Shrockworks front bumper:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4114

To reach the clutch, which is on the driver's side, you have to reach up under the bumper. For the M8000, the clutch lever ends up just behind the sheet metal of the crosspiece that supports the bottom of the grille.

As can be seen in one of the photos of my bumper install, the plugin for the winch's control cable is mounted in the provided location in the Shrock bumper. The existing receptacle's rivets were drilled out from the solenoid pack cover, and the wires lengthend to allow it to be relocated to the bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts