Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a tuner that will let me adjust for both increase in tire size and change in gear ratio to correct the speedometer. I was looking at the bullydog 40415, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I even e-mailed them a while ago and have yet to get a response. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the bullydog 40415. You can correct it in the tuner by speed percentage increase which reflects back to economy and the digital speedometer on the tuner but you can not change your ecu.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Bully Dog 40415 allows you to enter a correction factor for speed determined by a GPS. However, I believe it only changes the speed shown on the tuner display, not the speedo on the dash. But at least you would at least have one correct reading of your speed.

However, my dash speedo doesn't match my Tuner with stock tires either, which is dumb because AFAIK they are both reading the speed from the same input sensor.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
The above posts are correct ... none of the tuners on the market will be able to adjust the speed/odometer signal that is displayed on the OEM gauge cluster. It's possible that you'd be able to do this with options that are available through the Nissan Consult computer system that the dealer uses to interface to the vehicle, but that would mean finding a dealer service department willing to do it for you ... unfortunately I haven't heard of anyone going to that trouble yet, so it's unclear if this would even do what you're asking about.

However, there *is* a solution that does exactly what you're looking for ... and it's discussed at length here and here. It's a box made by Hypertech that plugs in-line with the harness going into the back of your gauge cluster, and corrects the speed signal that the truck produces ... so as far as the ECM/BCM are concerned, nothing changes.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
nope, no options in consult to accomplish this.
Interesting, and if I'm honest, a bit surprising ... bummer.

Just out of curiosity, not as a challenge, what's your basis for saying that? Nissan tech? Service writer?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Cryptic ... okay. I'll take your word for it, I guess. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
haha, well i used to work at JWT, they have a consult and i have used it, i honestly dont know of a nissan that has ever allowed speedo adjustments other than physically changing the sensor in the trans of my 240sx. i swapped the sensor from a jap trans to match the 4.3 gears i put in the dif.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Cool deal, I was just curious ... thanks for the info.

To bring it back around to the original topic: I'm using the Hypertech unit that I mentioned above (and posted links to other threads discussing it) ... it works great, and does exactly what I described.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, looks like it's going to be Hypertech and then a programmer. Thanks for the insight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts