Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X is my daily driver, it's our main car here in Europe. We use it to travel a lot on the highways and she sees off road action maybe every other month or so. It rains a lot here, my Long Trails have 30k+ miles on them and they have never been good for wet traction. I need some tires soon, and will be bringing the X back to the States next year where I hope to do more wheelin.

I'm looking for some tires that are good for the highway, wet traction and the occasional off road adventure. I'm looking at Nitto Terra Grappler, Firestone Destination, and Bridgestone Dueler Revos. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I loved Duratracs on my GMC Canyon I wheeled that truck monthly on the New Mexico desert they were awesome tires. But, it did not rain much in NM so I don't know about the wet traction of the Duratracs...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Mall Crawler? I always thought these were best placed on flashy poser mall crawlers:

For a good tire, like the others I highly recommend the Duratrac's, I run them and they have performed well in all conditions.

·
Super Moderator
4,535 Posts
I know its not one of the "popular tires" around here, but of the three tires you mentioned the Firestone Destination AT would probably be the best choice for the use you describe - daily driver/family vehicle with occasional forays off pavement.

There are other tires that will work better off road or make your rig look "rugged," with the corresponding trade offs in fuel mileage and highway ride quality. The decision is yours whether it is a fair trade.

I am not a fan of the Bridgestone Dueler. I have a set, to be replaced in March, installed by the previous owner. They are great on a long interstate run and I have no complaints around town, but they are next to useless off road. You can have them if you can figure out a way to get them from my house to yours (only about 8,500 miles on them).

Nittos look cool, but many of the reviews I've read report less than stellar longevity. Someone with direct personal experience will need to chime in on that.

As for my tire purchase in just a few weeks, and after much research, a realistic analysis of how I really use my rig, and thinking about the tires that have worked best for me in the past and why, I will most likely go with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT265/75R16 with the "C" load rating which I think is a good match for an all purpose Xterra. I say "most likely" because I am not immune to tire envy and there is something that draws me to the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Duratracs seem to win hands down but if you wanted MUD tire looks for a mall crawler then go for the Nitto Mudgrapplers. warning they will howl like a small plane going down the road though...

but you'll get "mad street cred!" they even come in 22"

-

·
TNX Administrator
20,476 Posts
Destination AT's. That's what I have and they are great for your intended use. I'll buy another set when these wear out
Yep, these are the one I got when the Long Trails wore out and I plan on getting a new set soon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I second, or third, or whatever number, the Destination A/T's. great tire, very quiet and handles very nicely. good tread, but not overly agressive.
Maybe the Destination LE if you want more of a street oriented tire. a co-worker has that on his SUV and they're nice lookin' too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts