Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty deciding between two of the load ratings available in this tire and am looking for sage advice from someone with experience, possibly not with this brand but otherwise. I realize there is a weight penalty with the LT , resulting in lower MPG, but to what degree? Also, is there a noticable handling benefit with the stiffer sidewall of the LT? And finally, is there a noticable ride quality loss with the LT?

Any insight would be appreciated?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
Don't buy "P" load rated tires for your X!!!

The Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT265/75R16 C-load rated tires will be perfect

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You will take an mpg hit, but not much with the stock size in LT. Handling will improve slightly from the stiffer tire, and you will feel the road a little more.

Do you plan on wheeling or towing? If not a P-rated tire will suffice. Most people here choose to go with LT tires for the heavier construction.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have them in the c-load and love them.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
C load is perfect. I would not do D or E.

To each their own. I wheeled for four yrs all over CO with P rated A/Ts and never had a flat. I just about wore the white letters of of my Dest A/Ts, but never had a flat. Three yrs of wheeling with P rated Dest A/Ts and one yr with Cooper ATPs. If available, I would have bought C load, but given the choice between P and E load, I picked P and didn't regret it.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

The difference in max rated capacity between the P265/75/16 and the LT265/75/16 is 1 lb. Personally if I was not wheeling my truck or towing I would probably go for the slightly better ride quality of the P-rated.

Not sure why you needed to post that in red

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I rarely tow a trailer, but do occasionally go off road though not to the degree that many here do. Also plan to do a cross country trip in 2015 in the X and will likely be heavily loaded. I am teetering towards the LT more so for handling than anything as there are many twisty roads in this part of Appalachia, but don't want to lose more than 1 mpg. I have to make up my mind soon as I want to catch the $80 rebate offer.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
Check the Discount Tire Direct eBay page before you buy - there were screaming deals on the Cooper AT3 and ST/Maxx with a coupon code a few weeks ago and Discount Tire/America's Tire matched the price. Adding the $80 prepaid Visa rebate from Cooper for the AT3 and it woiuld have been a hell of a deal, but I had my heart set on the ST/Maxx.

Don't know if your tire shop price matches, but its worth a try.

·
Registered
34 Posts

technically he's mostly right. p rated tires are ok if they are extra load rated. they are the stock tires. regular p rated tire sidewalls aren't designed for a consistent load of our vehicle weight. You'd probably be fine either way. I upgraded to Lt265/75 in a d rating and might have lost 1 mpg, but not really notice, you do get better response on highway and they can withstand lowered pressure longer. C would be optimal. but really its all your preference

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Our Xterras only weigh roughly 4k lbs. I wouldn't buy passenger car tires for it, but any quality P rated A/T is more than capable of supporting our weight and payload. Most are even fine for a half ton truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
575 Posts
P is fine for highway only -C is ideal for mixed highway and off-road and will notice little difference - E is heavy and tough and will notice rough ride and lower mileage

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just Bought 4 Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

Got about 800 miles on them. So Far so good. Seem like good tires. quiet and good handling. Good traction in rain and wet conditions.

I got 57314 on the last set of OEM tires. Hoping to get 60K on these here tires.

I'll post back in a year and let you know how they do.

late-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts