Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell which rear diff I have? I have an 05 Xterra S with auto trans and 4WD. It is time to change diff fluid. The more I research, the more confused I get. I have a service manual, but I just don't know how to tell.

I did a search on the forum and got no information that I needed or way too much.

Thanks for the help.

:scratch: :read2:

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Turn to the index of your service manual (the index is that stuff in the back of the manual). Look under fluids (Hint - go to letter "F"). :study:

From there, you'll be directed to open your manual to page 9-2 which references capacities and recommended fuel/lubricants.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
xterra4me said:
How can I tell which rear diff I have? I have an 05 Xterra S with auto trans and 4WD. It is time to change diff fluid. The more I research, the more confused I get. I have a service manual, but I just don't know how to tell.

I did a search on the forum and got no information that I needed or way too much.

Thanks for the help.

:scratch: :read2:
C200

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Time to change the fluid? I have same unit, and I think it said just check the level on a 15K service. Unless you have more. I didn't notice the recommended change interval, But funny thing, I have never changed rear Diff fluid on any car ever and never had a problem. My dad has over 200K on his Toy and never touched it either. Rusted shut now. Figure with the synthetic oil, that would be the same deal. Unless you get water in it.

Is our diff really that weak?

MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It's a good idea to change the diff fluid. I usually go on the 30k interval. If nothing else, it's good to change it just to get the metal sluge out of it.

Does it need to be done evey 30k? Na, but just like most oils it will break down over time.

·
on line
120 Posts
30K?! I changed my diff at 1104 miles. Gearboxes are non-filtered and you wouldn't believe the amount of metal particles that will come out...
BTW Amsoil Severe Gear 75-140 has made a HUGE difference in my Dana 44. No more rattle and noise. Also, Redline MT-90 in my manual has really helped smooth out the shifts. Very little notchiness now.

·
on line
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
USMC XTERRA said:
Time to change the fluid? I have same unit, and I think it said just check the level on a 15K service. Unless you have more. I didn't notice the recommended change interval, But funny thing, I have never changed rear Diff fluid on any car ever and never had a problem. My dad has over 200K on his Toy and never touched it either. Rusted shut now. Figure with the synthetic oil, that would be the same deal. Unless you get water in it.

Is our diff really that weak?

MC
The service manual says 30K. I have over 38K on it now. I bought it in June 05.

Any body know if you can use the the Synthetic 75W-90 in the fron diff. Seems strange they would call for different lubes.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, I guess I'll do it at 30 K. Not sure what I will put in. I did buy some spare fluid after I raked the bottom loose on a rock. But it was over full from factory so it didn't need any more. I bet it's like a $30 change DIY. No Idea what the capacity is.

MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I was kinda forced to change mine at about 8k, when I peeled the cover back slightly on a rock, wanna see the inside of the D44? :)

·
on line
2,081 Posts
There was some metal filings on the drain plug - not much tho. After 8k miles the fluid was basically new looking.

I actually changed the fluid twice that weekend, because the first time I put the cover on the damn thing didn't seal properly, so I had to do it all over again the next day :( At $15 a quart, that wasn't fun.

·
on line
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
USMC XTERRA said:
Well, I guess I'll do it at 30 K. Not sure what I will put in. I did buy some spare fluid after I raked the bottom loose on a rock. But it was over full from factory so it didn't need any more. I bet it's like a $30 change DIY. No Idea what the capacity is.

MC
Here it is out of the service manual:

Rear final drive oil
C200 1.6 3 3/8 pt 2 7/8 pt
API GL-5 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Oil
(Part No. 999MP-DF200P) or equivalent
M226 2.01 4 1/4 pt 3 1/2 pt
API GL-5 Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil
(Part No. 999MP-DF100P) or equivalent
Transfer fluid TX15B 2.0 2 1/8 qt 1 3/4 qt
Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF (Continental
U.S and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN