Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not yet an X owner although I've been looking for the right one on a dealer lot for a few months now. But now after reading the boards, I'm a bit confused as to which one to get...

I live in Chicago right now but expect to be moving to Denver next spring/summer.

So, for Chicago, I was planning on an SE 4x4 with the airbags and the trailer hitch. Since there is NO off roading to speak of here, all the cool add on stuff didn't seem worth it.

But now since it looks like I'll be moving and I expect I'd be doing some wheeling... Light stuff at first since I'm a total noob, but I want to make sure if I really get into it and want to start modding, that I'm starting with the 'correct' X.

So, should I get the OR (is the Nissan stuff worth it?) or get an S, save the bread, then just start upgrading it getting better stuff that the OR has stock?

Is the hill decent/locking rear dif worth the money with the OR?

Or is it not worth getting the factory stuff since I'll have to upgrade everything a anyway?

Thanks all. Can't wait for the X! :bounce:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
551 Posts
If you're moving to Colorado and plan on doing wheeling then I'd get the OR
As far as I'm concerned those two items (locker and hill descent) are the best reasons to get the OR.
Larger tires (265's) better interior material, skids (better than nothing) are just icing.
Remember it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
316 Posts
Magic Rat said:
If you're moving to Colorado and plan on doing wheeling then I'd get the OR
As far as I'm concerned those two items (locker and hill descent) are the best reasons to get the OR.
Larger tires (265's) better interior material, skids (better than nothing) are just icing.
Remember it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
I'll stick to my S. It gets the job done and it isn't very expensive to upgrade to an OR.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
I say if you have the cash and were thinking about dropping the moola on an SE go for the OR. I alway think it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lostboy said:
I say if you have the cash and were thinking about dropping the moola on an SE go for the OR. I alway think it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
That's where I was going, but my God, I bet finding an Off Road with the airbag option here in the Chicago area will be damn near impossible.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
279 Posts
steve0617 said:
lostboy said:
I say if you have the cash and were thinking about dropping the moola on an SE go for the OR. I alway think it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
That's where I was going, but my God, I bet finding an Off Road with the airbag option here in the Chicago area will be damn near impossible.
You're telling me - it wasn't even easy in Denver. I wanted a manual, I think I found three within about 50 miles of me! If you're looking for an auto, though, you'll probably have better luck. There seemed to be a good number more of them than manuals. You can search dealer inventory directly from the Nissan web site.

And don't forget to check back in when you move here - there are a lot of us Colorado folks around this forum.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guit Fiddle said:
You're telling me - it wasn't even easy in Denver. I wanted a manual, I think I found three within about 50 miles of me! If you're looking for an auto, though, you'll probably have better luck. There seemed to be a good number more of them than manuals. You can search dealer inventory directly from the Nissan web site.

And don't forget to check back in when you move here - there are a lot of us Colorado folks around this forum.
Ok here's a dumb n00b question... Is an AT cool for wheeling? Or is the 6 speed a must? Cause wuss that I am, I do a LOT of stuck in traffic driving here in Chicago and would like an AT. But if that screws me once in Denver......
 

·
on line
Joined
·
279 Posts
Naw man, all personal preference...ATs are fine for offroading, definitely easier as well. I'm just old school and would rather row the gears myself - ultimately they provide more control and give you the 'whole' experience. But I loathe automatics in any car. I'm just a MT kind of guy.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
254 Posts
I always used to go with MT but you do run out of feet in a hurry sometimes when you’re off road. I was told once that most racing off road vehicles have AT’s for that reason, don’t know if that is true or not but I do miss the fore and aft rocking control.

Not sure so you might want to do some research on the side air bags if you plan on off roading. I think there were some issues with them deploying in rough conditions. I read about it happening a couple of times so scratched that one off the list when searching for mine. Don’t regret getting the OR model one bit, as long as the diffs hold up.

You can do the hitch yourself so don’t let that be a show stopper when your searching. Good Luck and good choice.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
82 Posts
If you are using it as a daily driver, I'd definitely get the side airbags. There were a whole bunch of insurance crash tests that came out, basically the X with no side airbags is one of the more dangerous SUV's in a side collision without them. With the side airbags, it is one of the safest. So, as new vehicles continue to add safety features, I'd rather have them. Good for your safety, will be a good selling point whenever you get rid of it.

As for off-roading, do a search, I think one of the guys found you could pull the fuse on them if you start doing off-roading aggressive enough that it would set them off.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
roygil15 said:
If you are using it as a daily driver, I'd definitely get the side airbags. There were a whole bunch of insurance crash tests that came out, basically the X with no side airbags is one of the more dangerous SUV's in a side collision without them. With the side airbags, it is one of the safest. So, as new vehicles continue to add safety features, I'd rather have them. Good for your safety, will be a good selling point whenever you get rid of it.

As for off-roading, do a search, I think one of the guys found you could pull the fuse on them if you start doing off-roading aggressive enough that it would set them off.
I did find the thread here ( http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2415&highlight=airbags ) of the bags going off during wheeling.

Other than this one specific incident, has it been posted/discussed before? Searching only turned up the one....
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,272 Posts
Go for the OR. You'll appreciate the locker. The skids are crap but better than nothing. At least they will buy you some time to save up your money for either sliders or better armor.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
254 Posts
steve0617 that thread was pretty convincing but there are other X BBS’s and net sources where the general consensus was the same, and yes others have had them deployed. I think roygil15 has a valid point in the safety issue and if you’re the type that knows when you’re going to off road and do so with a herd of others then the fuse pull will work. In my case I spend enough time off road at the last minute that it isn’t a workable solution. Even the faintest suggestion of a trail might hold a grouse covert no one has hunted or end at a pool with a huge brown that has never seen a fly, and I’m on it.

While I don’t think sliders are substitute for curtain air bags those that have been T-boned with them on have claimed they have helped tremendously.

Scott at Rock 4X Fabrication (1-847-544-1823) in Gurnee Il. is looking for a Gen2 to use for a template for these sliders-

On a first Gen X:


He is just outside of Chicago and was willing to build them for someone with a Gen2 for half price if you’re interested. Nothing against the Shrock just that the box on these would provide protection for the body against stone chips. Of course it also provides more surface area to hang up on stumps and rocks, never a free lunch.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cold Iron,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

On a related note, where actually is the fuse that would disable the side airbags? Is it easy to get to (like near the left driver kick panel? Or under the hood?)? Or is it somewhere that pulling it prior to wheeling would involve removing stuff to get to it?

Does ths side bag fuse also control the main two air bags?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
:clown:--Just two things Steve--

--1AT IS 99% CHOICE FOR ALL AROUND VEHICLE (especially off-road rocks and anytime snow, just can be off-road defeating, if alone (which you shouldn't be)--

2)Pulling the fuse on airbags is courting disaster, if you do it 10 times and forget to replace, ONE TIME-what can happen ???

-- :geek: :geek: --jimbo
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
Midnightblue54 said:
I'll stick to my S. It gets the job done and it isn't very expensive to upgrade to an OR.
No offense at all to anyone with an S but the upgrade to the OR isn't even available, since it means installing a rear selectable locker. Go for the OR if you can swing it.

I wheel my X constantly, but I wish I had the side air bags, despite the slight risk of false deployment offroad. I'd rather be safe on something so easy so I can keep taking the risks that make life fun.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
I have the OR with AT. The rear dif lock is gold, love that extra traction. As a noob to offroading you'll appreciate the extra confidence or the save your ass factor when you get stuck running with open diffs. As for the AT, personal choice dictates. I like MT but my wife does not. The AT works as well or better them my XJ MT did and can make for a smoother transition over complex terrain without all the fancy footwork. The OR comes with factory skids which provide some protection without having to immmediately upgrade if you start offroading frequently and over tougher terrain. My 2 cents worth
 

·
on line
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. I appreciate it. Time to head down to the dealer and see if he can find an OR here in the Midwest that doesn't require three states away!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top