Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 S 4WD with 50,000 miles and I need to replace my stock BFG Long Trails that were absolutely horrible in the rain/wet snow. I have a friend with an 04 and he has Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo's and loves them for rain and wet snow traction. My question is on Load range on the tire. I do not do much wheeling but I do tow a 3000 lbs boat twice a year, If I buy the 265/75 16's I have three choices for tires: 112/109S C - 2400lbs , 114S SL 500 AB 2601 lbs & 123/120R E 3415 lbs. Do I def need the E rated? Tire 3 weights 10 more lbs than tire 2, thats gonna drop gas mileage.

·
on line
52 Posts
I would go with Load Range C. E is very heavy and rides stiff. Heavy=poor handling, bad fuel economy, poor braking. C should be plenty strong with your truck size and towing.

Some people on my 4runner forum does NOT like REVOs in snow. I had REVO once on my old 4runner...did not see any real bonus to them over other AT tires. But, i did not have any snow experience with them.

BTW, i would also consider several other tires for your purpose: Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor and Michelin LTX AT-2. I really like the new Michelin AT-2 for all-season. The Goodyear SilentArmor has the snowflake-on-mountain symbol which means that it's rated for severe snow.

·
on line
735 Posts
you'll probably NEVER get a flat tire with a 10 ply E rated tire. I was considering a set in the future as I have had to change too many passenger car rated tires when I used to drive in mining operations for my job.

they are heavier, of course.

·
on line
111 Posts
The stock rugged trails on my 2007 OR were 114T, and essentially a B+ (or C-) equivalent since they were 5 ply. The 114S (the letter is speed rating) should be plenty. I have D-rated BFG ATs now, but they are overkill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts