Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize if this has been covered a million times. I'm new to the 4x4 world and to modding vehicles so I want to get my facts right before I proceed further. I've done a lot of research but can't seem to find an exact answer.

I have a 2011 Pro-4x completely stock. I want to add a lift (surprise surprise). I am on a budget and don't plan to use this lift for anything major besides looks and to put bigger tires on. In the future, I might move up to bigger and better kits/mods, but like I said, right now is just for my own satisfaction.

Which kit? I've heard do the AAL PRG kit:http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg-2xe31mk-x/

But I've also heard that just doing "shackles" will do the job?http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.p...tegory_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Which should I do? I don't want to run into issues down the road of vibrations and whatever else "could" occur. So if there's something I should do over another thing, please advise. Also, I hear things about shimming? Not quite sure what that's about. Do I need to also purchase the alignment cams, or can I still take it to the shop and have a typical wheel alignment done?

I've also read somewhere that I will need to permanently remove my rear sway bar? Is that normal? Seems like a sway bar is important on a top heavy truck.

Thanks!:eek:ccasion5:

·
TNX Veteran
4,179 Posts
Cheaper to get the LCA cams bolts now. Eventually you'll need them for a "bigger" lift. Why dole out the coin to re-align then find out you needed them? They're only $55. Been there done that.

The only thing is, it is fairly common for the stock bolts to be seized up in the LCA's (requiring a torch or saw /grinder to get out, and ruining the whole mess). If that's the case then you'll end up replacing the whole damn thing. Not a cheap option. Maybe something to think about in the amount of lift you want.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To be honest, I'm sort of using this mild lift as a feeler. Do I want to go bigger/better/faster in the future sort of thing, I'm not sure. I figure for $200 for this kit, I can throw it away in a year if I decide that it's stupid, or same concept if I decide to go bigger and to get into the serious kits.

So I'm primarily concerned with making sure this lift will not adversely affect me as a DD.

Edit: Just ordered the Nisstec basic lift AAL and top mount front spacers. This autta be interesting..:violent1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts