Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've used this forum about half a dozen times to troubleshoot my car here in Dubai, and have often found great advice, then gone to the parts shop here, picked it up and fixed it myself.

My 2008 X-Terra Off Road has on occasion had a tricky ignition, where it would just click and nothing would happen, but after a few extra twists it would fire up and behave like normal. Yesterday I went to the mall and it just would not start. Not a battery issue as it was replaced last month (hot weather means they last 18 months at best) and all systems were firing away fine.

Did my research and it sounded to me like an IPDM issue. I tried to switch the relays but had no luck.

So now I've been researching the parts and I want to be sure I get the right one. My car has the old white IPDM, which I thought was strange as its an 08 model. When I check part sites online with my VIN I keep getting told I need

284B7-ZE00C which is the old white module.

But from reading all the threads, it would seem I need this guy 284B6ZE03C

I have replaced a few parts already in my car that supply shops and pages were saying should be old style modules (clock spring was one), but I replaced with the newer parts and they worked perfectly.

My VIN is 5N1AN08W48C537197 , should I go with the newer black module, will I have any issues if I fit it?

Many thanks to forum, great resource!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I can't help with the part numbers but I am sure someone here will. However are you sure you swapped the correct relay? Swapping the relay itself usually solves the problem at least temporarily. In fact when originally recalled thats all Nissan did. I think they ended up going to the new unit since the problem was likely to re-appear in the future by just swapping the relay, but it least you would know that was your issue.

When you pulled the old relay did the connections appear corroded or burnt?

Anyway, here is the TSB so you can make sure your swapping the right relay.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2010/RCRIT-10V517-9900.pdf

·
on line
1,161 Posts
Is the special tool required to replace the fuse, can you just pull it out like any other relays?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
From what I can remember, swapping the ECM relay was kind of an emergency get-you-home fix only. The recall got you a new relay, but it would fail soon too due to the problems internal to the white box unit. (Circuit board, etc.) As for needing any special tool, I don't think so.

My 09 model had the white IPDM so I am not surprised the OP's 08 model did too. I think it was courtesyparts where it said that old number 284B7-ZE00C was discontinued and showed me the replacement. Maybe not, it doesn't seem to now.
https://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-...rical-components-scat/?part_number=24382zs00c
Anyway, I'm running the 284B6-ZE03C part number and haven't had any weird starting, lighting, or other electrical problems since.

Here's an ebay listing that includes the cover. You'll need the cover since the cover from the white one won't fit the new black one. (Yep, I tried.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-REP...ATHFINDER-FRONTIER-2005-2010-KIT/163196104561
(It's shipping from New Jersey, might be the JerseyParts user here that I think was the person that explained all this stuff back when it was first happening.)

It looks pretty much the same as the old one except it's black.

You don't really need much for tools to do the swap, but it helps to have a small flat head and long skinny needlenose pliers to pop the connector tabs down where it gets tight on the hands. And the 10mm wrench to disconnect the battery first. I think that's it.

·
on line
1,161 Posts
I have the white IPDM and the wiring configuration is different with this one, I am assuming that all the wiring will plug into the black one am I right? I went to the dealership today got a quote for the IPDM and ECM, they gave me a quote for the IPDM, ECM and a cover for $1086.95

IPDM $220.48
cover $20.52
ECM $762.97
+tax

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Yes, there's a bunch of wire connectors you plug in. All different shapes and sizes but they all fit.

For some crazy reason my old one made it here in the move. Turns out I had part # 284B6ZE00C, not the 284B7 variant listed by courtesyparts.

I may take it to a buddy with an x-ray machine, see if I can get a picture of the insides. Looks like it's all glued together and tough to take apart without breaking. Goal being to pass it on to an EE buddy that might be curious enough to find what sort of failure these things are having. He suspects a supplier cheaped out on something simple that would have cost pennies to do right.

Anyway, were I in your shoes, I'd hold off getting the ECM until you're sure you need one. Lot of $$. The IPDM though, in my opinion, really should be replaced with the updated part based on what I learned here.

ETA: Looking at it, the wiring connector block positions are all the same. (Probably due to the wiring looms being just long enough to fit there.) The relays and fuses moved around some, and there's fewer relays so they probably went with better internal stuff like solid state relays, maybe auto-resetting thermal circuit breakers, etc. And there's a spot near the red sticker with a connector hole labeled "MT", but it has no pins in it so I wouldn't worry about it being plugged on the new one. I don't recall having a bunch of wires left over with no where to put them.

Attachments

·
on line
1,161 Posts
I went to the dealership couple of days ago due to my ongoing electrical problem and asked for a quote on a new IPDM, the parts counter guy took my VIN number and came back with the black IPDM even though what I got in my truck is the white one. Obviously there is a change or there should have been a recall on my truck(which I ask the person to check on any recall and he said no recall on mine). IPDM part# he gave me was 284B6-ZE03B.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm planning on making a big road trip this summer and I want to replace the white IPDM in my early 2005 Off road. I have been stuck in 2wd deep in the desert and in a snow storm due to the electrical system before and don't want a repeat. Those issues have been resolved, but once in a while I have a hard start or SLIP/VDC lights on. Different sites are giving me different part #s for IPDM. Can anyone confirm the replacement part # for 284B6-7S002?

284B77S002, 284B6-ZE03C?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Different sites are giving me different part #s for IPDM. Can anyone confirm the replacement part # for 284B6-7S002?

284B77S002, 284B6-ZE03C?
I don't have direct experience with the 7S002, but every X, pathy, and frontier I've looked up lists the ZE03B/C part as the current. I have swapped in both ZE03B and ZE03C versions in my X and a couple pathys with good results.

The B is about half the price and the only difference I see is 1 fuse value (O2 sensors I think) and a slightly different can bus chip ID number. The old white ones I've taken apart don't seem to have a separate can bus chip, and maybe the main cpu was trying to handle it and that's why they all fail eventually?

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool, thanks. I went with ZE03C. 5 minute install, 100 miles, good results. I think the other part I listed may have been new old stock replacement, not the updated board

·
Registered
578 Posts
digging up this old threat since it's most related to my question...

I'm replacing my IPDM in my '06, it has the white one. I've found many different part numbers online but can't find any consistency. I've called the dealership and they wont tell me if the one I've found will work or not, they'll only order me a new one.

The one I've found is the new black one, part number 284B7 ZE03B. The seller said it was for a Frontier, they never installed it because it turned out to be the fuel pump. From the pics it looks new, no scratches or anything. When I search the part number all I get is a bunch of ebay and amazon listings that say it'll fit anything from an Armada, to a Frontier to a Pathfinder...basically any truck/suv. Then in the Q&A of the listing people are asking if it'll fit an Xterra and they say no, simply because thats what the computer told them. I can't tell a difference between this or a 284B6 item. EDIT: Mine looks 100% identical to the one pictured above, every fuse is the same, every connecting pin...everything.

As far as I can tell, it should work, right? Frontiers and Xterras are all the same when it comes to parts like this, right?

EDIT: Just got off the horn with yet another dealership about the IPDM. The part number I gave him doesn't even show up in their system. They confirmed 284B6 would work tho, their price was $320ish. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
This is the one that comes up for my 2011 PRO=4X using my VIN.
Nissan Part No.:284B6-ZE03B
CONTROLLER ASSY-IPDM
  • Lookup Code284B0M
  • Part Description
    Controller Assy-Intelligent Power Distribution Module
  • Require Quantity01
  • Package Quantity1
  • ManufacturerNissan. This genuine Nissan part is guaranteed by Nissan's factory warranty.
  • CONTROLLER ASSY-IPDM is Lookup Code 284B0M in the diagram below
    2011 Nissan Xterra Wiring - Diagram 9

Attention State of California Customers
Warning: Cancer and reproductive harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Your Price: $199.20
Retail Price:$296.87

My guess would be the one from the Frontier as the Xterra has more things like power outlets and roof lights.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That's the problem, everything is by VIN and you only have what the computer spits out.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
That's the problem, everything is by VIN and you only have what the computer spits out.
Part Fitment
  • MakeModelYearTrimEngineImportant vehicle option details
  • NissanArmada2009 - 2015LE, LE/SL, Platinum, SE, SE/SV8 Cyl 5.6LVK56DE
  • NissanFrontier2009-2019LE, Off-Road, PRO-4X, S, SE, SL, SV, XE4 Cyl 2.5L, 6 Cyl 4.0LQR25DE, VQ40DE
  • NissanPathfinder2009-2012LE, S, SE, Silver Edition, SV6 Cyl 4.0L, 8 Cyl 5.6LVK56DE, VQ40DE
  • NissanTitan2009 - 2015LE, Off-Road, PRO-4X, S, SE, SL, SV, XE8 Cyl 5.6LVK56DE
  • NissanXterra2009-2015Base Camp, Off-Road, PRO-4X, S, SE, X6 Cyl 4.0LVQ40DE

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Part Fitment
  • MakeModelYearTrimEngineImportant vehicle option details
  • NissanArmada2009 - 2015LE, LE/SL, Platinum, SE, SE/SV8 Cyl 5.6LVK56DE
  • NissanFrontier2009-2019LE, Off-Road, PRO-4X, S, SE, SL, SV, XE4 Cyl 2.5L, 6 Cyl 4.0LQR25DE, VQ40DE
  • NissanPathfinder2009-2012LE, S, SE, Silver Edition, SV6 Cyl 4.0L, 8 Cyl 5.6LVK56DE, VQ40DE
  • NissanTitan2009 - 2015LE, Off-Road, PRO-4X, S, SE, SL, SV, XE8 Cyl 5.6LVK56DE
  • NissanXterra2009-2015Base Camp, Off-Road, PRO-4X, S, SE, X6 Cyl 4.0LVQ40DE
You can PM me your vin if you want.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Did you end up getting that one? If so, any luck fixing what your issues were? I'm thinking about getting one of these for my '05, probably the 284B6-ZE03B since I can find it ~$200 cheaper.
Yep, went with the 284B6-ZE03B and so far it's working perfectly. I'm still waiting on the title, so I can't register or drive it yet (legally anyway) but I've fired it up and backed it out of the garage 7 or 8 times with no issues, fires up every time. The VDC light is still on but I'm sure that will clear once I can drive it further than 40 feet. I was waiting to update these threads until I had better info, but I'm pretty confident everything is good to go. I got lucky and got the black IPDM off CL for $80, the seller bought it for $145 off amazon, but I can't find anything that cheap - they seem to come and go randomly at that price. They bought it for a Frontier but the part numbers cross reference to an Xterra as well.

What I found was that the part number on the back of the IPDM is 284B7-ZE03B, but the lady I bought it from had paperwork showing part number 284B6-ZE03B. When I talked to 3 different dealerships none of them were able to pull up 284B7-ZE03B in their system, so I don't know what that is all about. But it's running with no lights (other than the VDC), no codes, no issues and purrs like a kitten.

FYI, before I bought the IPDM I went to the dealership and bought the updated ECM relay and swapped that into the old white IPDM and it immediately ran better and started every time. This told me the IPDM was most likely the problem, but it could've also been the ECM. Since the white IPDMs seem to all eventually fail, I just replaced it. If things still don't work I'll know it's the ECM, but at this point I'm confident it's the old IPDM was the problem. We'll see. I'll update in a few days/weeks when I have the opportunity to actually drive it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, went with the 284B6-ZE03B and so far it's working perfectly. I'm still waiting on the title, so I can't register or drive it yet (legally anyway) but I've fired it up and backed it out of the garage 7 or 8 times with no issues, fires up every time. The VDC light is still on but I'm sure that will clear once I can drive it further than 40 feet. I was waiting to update these threads until I had better info, but I'm pretty confident everything is good to go. I got lucky and got the black IPDM off CL for $80, the seller bought it for $145 off amazon, but I can't find anything that cheap - they seem to come and go randomly at that price. They bought it for a Frontier but the part numbers cross reference to an Xterra as well.

What I found was that the part number on the back of the IPDM is 284B7-ZE03B, but the lady I bought it from had paperwork showing part number 284B6-ZE03B. When I talked to 3 different dealerships none of them were able to pull up 284B7-ZE03B in their system, so I don't know what that is all about. But it's running with no lights (other than the VDC), no codes, no issues and purrs like a kitten.

FYI, before I bought the IPDM I went to the dealership and bought the updated ECM relay and swapped that into the old white IPDM and it immediately ran better and started every time. This told me the IPDM was most likely the problem, but it could've also been the ECM. Since the white IPDMs seem to all eventually fail, I just replaced it. If things still don't work I'll know it's the ECM, but at this point I'm confident it's the old IPDM was the problem. We'll see. I'll update in a few days/weeks when I have the opportunity to actually drive it.
Nice, thanks for the detailed response. I'll keep an eye out for the price dropping, but I'm not counting on it haha. I did try to switch the fog light relay with the ECM relay, and didn't have any change with my issue. I still ordered a few spare ECM relays, so I'm going to try those but from what I've read there is a possibility that the IPDM is still bad even if the relay doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nice, thanks for the detailed response. I'll keep an eye out for the price dropping, but I'm not counting on it haha. I did try to switch the fog light relay with the ECM relay, and didn't have any change with my issue. I still ordered a few spare ECM relays, so I'm going to try those but from what I've read there is a possibility that the IPDM is still bad even if the relay doesn't change anything.
You're likely right. I'm terrible when it comes to electronics and electrical work, so I honestly can't tell you how all of this works, lol. I read a thread and give it a shot. I read on another thread that replacing the ECM relay is a bandaid fix, so I tried it and it worked. Replacing the ecm relay was also a Nissan recall, so there you go. Sorry I'm not of any better help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts